Remove paint from cabinet ?

+5

Would like to remove paint, what can I use to remove the paint? So that I can stain it a cherry wood

q remove paint from cabinet
  • Citristrip and saran wrap will do the trick. If the white paint has penetrated the wood at all you will have some extra sanding to do

• Agapegirlac Agapegirlac on Aug 12, 2018

You could also try a heat gun. I am currently in the process of stripping a bench, and my Wagner Furno heat gun is working great. I didn’t want the fumes of using a chemical paint stripper, so I tried the heat gun. Bye-bye paint, and no smell! I wish you the best with whatever method you choose.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 16, 2018

Hi Nadine: I'm a huge fan of CitriStrip. It's easy to use and there are no fumes to smell. It will hold up on vertical areas. When you paint it on, fairly thick, but not hugely thick, let it sit for whatever is recommended, you will see the paint start to wrinkle up, and then use a PLASTIC putty knife to scrape the paint off. If you use metal, it may gouge the wood. Your cabinet looks pretty straight forward, no curlicues:), so you should have an easy time of it. You can get CitriStrip at most home improvement stores, near the paint section. Good luck.

• Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Sep 08, 2018

Use a gel paint to paint over the whole thing and you can skip the scraping and all.

• William William on Sep 08, 2018

Citristrip stripper then lots of sanding down to raw wood.

Although you might want to lightly sand some areas of the painted surface since it looks thick in some areas I think you can get the cherry wood look you want by using Java Gel Stain OVER the painted surface. This is the product- https://www.woodcraft.com/products/general-finishes-georgian-cherry-gel-stain-1-2-pint?

This is a video I found that gives you an idea of what you can get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yaM0mz8Nk0