The DIY Doghouse
The DIY Doghouse
  • Langhorne, PA

DIY Dog Bowl Stands

$50

Duke and Duchess do everything in style. We’re a little dog obsessed over here, if you haven’t figured that out by now. A few months ago they got their very first Rae Dunn XL dog bowls. I decided it was time to take them to the next level, for a few reasons. Duke and Duchess are large dogs, and I felt bad that they looked hunched over while they ate their food. So I got it in my head that they needed a stand, for practical reasons… ya know?
diy dog bowl stands
o this DIY, like all DIYs started at Home Depot. I’m pretty familiar with the wood section, because of all the  signs I’ve been making recently. I saw these 6 inch legs and thought they would be PERFECT for the dog bowl stand base.

Duke and Duchess each get their own stand. So I needed 8 of these coffee table legs.

In order to build the frame to hold their bowls, I bought an 8ft x 6ft  and 1in x 2in pieces of wood and stained them. I’ve used this wood before, so I know it holds up pretty well! I always aim to use pieces that have a lot of interest in the wood. The more grooves, knots, and nicks, the cooler it looks when it’s stained.
diy dog bowl stands
After I finished staining it, I let it dry for 24 hours.
diy dog bowl stands
diy dog bowl stands
When it was dry, I used the bowls to measure how much space I would need for the tray. I played around with the spacing a little and landed on 17.5 inches. I used a table saw to cut the wood pieces to length. I cut four 8 inch pieces for the sides of the trays and nailed them into place with my nail gun.
diy dog bowl stands
diy dog bowl stands
After the frame was completed, I stained the exposed corners!

Next, I turned the frame upside down. I lined up the table leg with where I wanted it to be positioned and I made a divot with the exposed screw at the top of the leg. That mark is the drill spot!
diy dog bowl stands
I used a drill bit and drilled partially into the wood, just enough to be able to screw the legs in. Be sure you don’t pop through the other side!
diy dog bowl stands
Last step! I used a polycrylic water based sealer to protect the wood. This is for dogs after all, and our little royals are messy! I wanted to make sure that I protected what I built, but more importantly, I don’t want any excess food or slobber to become a breeding ground for bacteria. By sealcoating the wood, I was able to make it an easy to clean surface!
diy dog bowl stands
Look how happy they are with their new food bowl stands!

to see more pictures of DIYs and Duke and Duchess, follow me on Instagram! @thediy.doghouse

The DIY Doghouse

• Leslie

Your pups are gorgeous, Staffordshire Terriers??? Love them. The stand isn't half bad either lol. Thank you for posting.

• Megan

I love this. I haven't been able to find one with cutouts that was right for my kitchen. I don't know why I didn't think of something like this! And I love that you included a pic of the Puppers in the AFTER picture! They are adorable!

• Michelle

Looks awesome!! Will have to make this. Thanx for sharing

• Charlotte Koch

We have two large dogs also. They are larger than yours (judging from their height at your outlet), and I definitely think they need something higher off the floor. This is a great idea. Thanks and Rocky and Bailey thank you too.