Leesa Osborne
Leesa Osborne
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Columbia, TX

Hutch With Diy Barn Doors

$40

I received a text from my aunt that said ”hurry there are some nice things on the road, someone just sold the house and moved stuff to the road a few houses down from me”. I told my son come on let’s go look. I might need your help. Sure enough a nice hutch was just thrown out. It’s missing only one handle And all the doors. It was okay I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. my son and I loaded this huge hutch into my Nissan Cube. A funny sight I’m sure. I was determined I wasn’t leaving without this piece. It fit but barely, we were riding with our seats Into the windshield almost. I Got it home and we unloaded it and I began to inspect it better. Wow what a find no issues anywhere except one handle missing And no doors. I wasn’t worried about either missing. Because I knew I wanted barn doors on it.
hutch with diy barn doors
i began by cleaning it really well with tsp and left it to dry. It was so heavy I wasnt able to move it by myself. once it was clean I used bulleye water based primer and primed it really good. I used a couple of coats. I left it here for a couple of days to work on it. I covered it at night with a tarp.
hutch with diy barn doors
once the primer dried I started with rustoleum linen white chalk paint. I gave it 3 coats of paint sometimes it tries to thicken up on you. I just dip my brush in a little water and get back to smoothing it out. As I’m painting im thinking and decide I’m going to stain some fence boards for the bottom Of this.
hutch with diy barn doors
I got 3 brand new fence pickets from Home Depot and measured and cut the length. I had a very hard time trying to get them into the bottom of the cabinet. finally my husband comes to the rescue and helps me cut the first board around all the little pieces of the cabinet that were preventing it from fitting flush. Once he did that I stained them with min wax red mahogany stain.
hutch with diy barn doors
here is where I added a piece of pallet wood to hide a section and for the flat bar that the barn doors would slide on. I got the flat bar at Home Depot and wheels from amazon. You can see I used a 1” spacer to keep it from fitting flush off my cabinet. Oh and my red sharpie mark where I thought I needed to cut the flat bar in the beginning. I’m glad my husband said you better measure that bar again.
hutch with diy barn doors
Here it is with the doors attached and the doors partially complete.i just used fence pickets to make the doors, I didnt like the pattern on the doors At all So we or I should say my husband helped me fit in between my wood on the doors to make an X. All we used for the “X” was furring Strips.
hutch with diy barn doors
This is what I wanted so he fixed it. I then Glued those new cut strips to my doors and sanded the entire piece with a sanding block with 220 grit paper.
hutch with diy barn doors
all complete and ready for a new home.
hutch with diy barn doors
I think it turned out pretty
hutch with diy barn doors

• Jan Hudson

I like it! I think the hardware and white cross boards make it stand out and sharp looking! Don’t change a thing!

• Michele BHut

It asked if I'm inspired. I AM inspired. I inherited a hutch years ago from my mother. It looks similar to the one you used in this project. My dream is to convert it into a beautiful bathroom vanity. I have seen it done before so it's not an original I know. I adore the idea of placing one of those beautiful bowl sinks into the piece & improving the look little by little. I am lucky, the hutch is in pristine shape, despite its age. It's at least 45 years old & I cannot wait to use the hutch in a different way now. Thank you for the inspiration & the final shove I needed to begin the project! -Michele B.