What is the cheapest way to redo a bathroom ?

+7

My husband and I are both in our mid forties. He works and I go to school full time. Our house is over a hundred years old and we’ve been doing updates as best we can but the bathroom is horrendous! It’s ALL tile, even the ceiling! And of course not a very appealing tile at that! Can somebody please help! How and/or what should we do to this to make it not....so....awful!?

q what is the cheapest way to redo a bathroom

The ceiling 🤮

The walls!🤢 (and yes, it’s every wall! Lol)

• Tracy Tracy on Aug 13, 2018

Ummm wow!! I'm not sure if they sell a tile paint, besides tearing it all out I'm not sure what can be done. I am going to go dig around some sites and see about this. I am not good at maneuvering this site but I will try to get back to you.

• Karen Karen on Aug 14, 2018

Thanks! I’ve tried looking too but it’s like you said....it really needs to be torn out

• Megan Reid Megan Reid on Aug 13, 2018

I say paint it. It'll take some hard work and time but it'll be so worth it.

http://askannamoseley.com/2014/04/how-to-update-an-ugly-bathtub/#_a5y_p=2868653

• Archie Archie on Aug 13, 2018

Prime it and paint it.

• Nan W. Nan W. on Aug 13, 2018

The cheapest (& maybe most imaginative) is to embrace the tile! It's certainly unique... and playing that up would be fun. Get a GREAT ceiling light fixture instead of that contractor model.... same with the lights above the mirror.

There are some amazing shower curtains out now. Check out https://www.houzz.com/products/query/shower-curatins/nqrwns

You may even want to buy two and modify (cut up to fit) one to be a curtain for your window. Easy peasy.

This is relatively inexpensive and fun to do!

• Tracy Tracy on Aug 13, 2018

Wow Megan, that's awesome! I have a funky stripe in my shower I may want to use this.

• O.shag O.shag on Sep 11, 2018

There's other options besides painting or ripping the tile out. Shiplap or beadboard paneling installed over strips of wood screwed into the studs between grout lines. Fasade backsplash panels come in many different colors and are easy to clean too, though maybe too costly if there's a lot to cover. And there's always wallpaper!

• William William on Sep 11, 2018

Rustoleum or Homax tub and tile paint kits.