Asked on Aug 13, 2018

How do you "unlock" a garbage disposal ?

J BrownWilliamJim Cox
+4

No foreign objects in disposal, just stuck. Motor will "hum", but blades will not turn and grind. Can't find the wrench/tool to unlock it. Is there something that can be put in it to loosen it ? It is about 10-15 yrs old, but hasn't been used that much!

• Francesca
    Francesca

As far as i am aware,no there isn't anything you can use. It sounds like it may somehow have got jammed into the position its in. You can buy the wrench from somewhere like Home Depot for about five dollars. Or just use google and search for garbage disposal parts.

• Chubby58
    Chubby58

I usually stick the handle end of a broom in there and turn it around a couple of times. This has worked for me so far. Sounds crazy, but it works!

• Trish Sweeton
    Trish Sweeton

Have you tried the reset button? Red button on bottom of disposable. I removed my disposable and re-piped. Best decision, If you have hardly used it and so old, it might be something to think about. Good luck.

• Ricky
    Ricky

Try going to the breaker box and and turning off the electrical power to the product. The power to the garbage disposable may unlock the the door.

• Jim Cox
    Jim Cox

I use a broom as well. push it in deep on the far side, pull it all the way towards you, and then move the end in a circular motion 'like a tornado' and you'll be free in no time. Don't be surprised if you need to move it both directions

William

Yep, the broom stick method works. Stick it in at an angle and twist. You can also use two sticks in an "X" and twist.

• J Brown
    J Brown

I know this is an old post but may help someone

I usually attack from the top using a hammer handle. POWER OFF!!

I put the wooden handle down wedging on the bottom and jimmy it back an forth, remove and check for anything that may have been released from the "teeth" .

Then try again, it may take a couple tries but usually it does release and begin to run.

than put ice cubes down to clean the teeth.

Good Luck