Kay Haynes
Kay Haynes
  • Waterford, MI

Un-Be-Leaf-ables

I saw an article in a magazine on How to Make Cement leaves. That is all it took, so off I went. I chose my first leaf, a 3 foot Elephant ear.
un be leaf ables, concrete masonry, diy, how to, outdoor living
I chose my leaf. Mixed up the Quick Crete, made my sand mound, placed the leaf with the back showing & poured the cement mixture over the leaf, added chicken wire to re-inforce it & added more cement. Now I had to be patient for 2 days, and this was my result.
My first Bird bath leaf. This would NOT be my last try at this. I went wild.
Rhubarb leaf Bowl
Rhubarb Bird bath
Broccoli leaf to hang
Calla Lily leaf to hang
Horseradish veggie dish
Hosta leaf dish. I do all my own painting & I added the flat sided marble to look like a water drop.
Lily pad votive holder. There were many more, but they have been sold. Enjoy

• Angie

When it is dry I suppose you turn it over and paint it. But you don't say what paint do you use, and what about the leaf? You take it off before the cement dries? Thank you so much for the beautiful idea you shared. It looks so nice, I can't wait to try it!

• Kay Haynes

The leaf has to dry at least 48 hours. Then you peel the leaf off & brush all the little creases to remove any part of the leaf that is left. Use PATIO paint if you are leaving the item outside or just plain craft acrylic paint for indoor items.. I sealed it 3 times front & back for the leaves staying outside.

• Mollie

What color did you paint the rhubarb bowl and the broccoli leaf. They are so pretty!!

• Michelle

Gorgeous! Love these.

• Susan Clinard

These are stunning !! I don't think that I have ever seen such beautiful creations like this. Finding the larger leaves is very difficult for me because I live in an apartment. Would you or anyone else have any suggestions on how I could go about getting some of the leaves that are in your example ?

• Kay Haynes

Go on line and check for local farms & ask if they grow Squash or other big leafed veggies & go get some.

• Barb

I used Pumpkin leaves from my sisters garden . You could always go to a garden center and ask if they would let you have a leaf .I took wet paper towl's laid them over the leaves and put them in a large plastic bag or you can use a trash bag . Leave the bag open at one end and they will last in a very cold fridg for a week in the bottom like lettuce .They you can do the leaves on a weekend if you don't have time when you do get the leaves . Be sure and check on them once in a while if they are turning then you need to do it ASAP.

Here are some pictures of the pumpkin leaves and I did some grapevine leaves as well

• Elaine

Do you have instructions, from start to finish, on how to make these?

• Sar33671351

Thanks! I made many ceramic leaves, but now I have no kiln. This new material looks great.

• Carla

Yes i have done this. But i used white stepping stone cement from hobby lobby , it does cost more but well worth it. I use zucchini leaf . Their smaller and i either hang them on walls or their use as fruit bowls candy bowls what ever you like.