Chris Kugler
Chris Kugler
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Orting, WA

Dresser Makeover

$68

I picked up this dresser for free. It was quite a challenge and the process taught me so much. The first thing I learned was that I should make sure the piece is made with real wood. Particle board is very difficult to repair
dresser makeover
I replaced the back with a nice piece of real wood. Then I sanded the whole thing
dresser makeover
Then I started with a primer coat of paint
dresser makeover
dresser makeover
Since I had a drawer missing I planned to put a basket of some kind in the place where the drawer was missing. I thought it would look nice to put trim pieces on the front
dresser makeover
Unfortunately when I did this the drawers would not work. So moving forward...
dresser makeover
I used an Ash chalk paint and painted everything followed by an antique finish
dresser makeover
I replaced the pulls with some clear ones
dresser makeover
Next I lined the drawers with a good quality contact paper.
dresser makeover
I put textured white wall paper in the top. This was followed by wiping some color on it and then four coats of mod podge furniture. It is a hard coating.
dresser makeover
I found these cute baskets. Gave the whole thing a spray matte finish
It is complete. Not my favorite project but a great learning experience.
dresser makeover

• Karen

What did you use to make a shelf out of the missing drawer area

• Chris Kugler

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that step. We cut a piece of thin wood and mailed it in before putting on the new back

• Lea Barnhart

Hi, I have baristerbookcase made of particle board and didn’t realize. It has been cover with a wood colored contact paper, that is peeling in some places. Any ideas, I’m at a lost.

• Kathy

Covering it with cloth and modpodge is a great idea. I have done it a few times and turns out great

• Wan22926966

Did you put contact paper on the top also or is this a stensel? Missed this step...

• Jeannie Carle

She said "I put textured white wall paper in the top. This was followed by wiping some color on it and then four coats of mod podge furniture. It is a hard coating."

• Jeannie Carle

I love what you did!

• Kazzeroo5

I saw the dresser and the first thing I thought was .....gee you certainly have a challenge there....little did I imagine how great it would be ...well done . :)