Rhonda
Rhonda
  • Pearland, TX

How to Paint Your Bathroom Vanity

1 Material
$160

My mini-bathroom makeover has finally begun after living with a very bland bathroom for a few years. I started with updating the vanity and I am so pleased with the outcome. With a few tips you can do yours too!

how to paint your bathroom vanity
This is my "before" picture and you can see I definitely need some color in this room! White plus white plus more white. The previous homeowner was not much of a risk taker!
how to paint your bathroom vanity
I began my project by cleaning my cabinets well with Emerge degreaser. If you cannot find that product TSP will work or even good ol' vinegar and water. Be sure to rinse after you are done cleaning to remove any residue left behind.
Yes, my sweet baby dog is cute but he is pretty useless when it comes to hard work......he's good moral support!
how to paint your bathroom vanity
In between this picture and the previous one was a day in bed with a nagging migraine......thus the haggard look....alas, Annie Sloan Graphite to the rescue!
Graphite is a gorgeous dark, charcoal gray! You cannot go wrong with this choice.
how to paint your bathroom vanity
This picture shows one coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Keep in mind that your first coat is not a coverage coat and usually looks worse than when you started. Press on, my friend.......deliciousness is on it's way!
I prefer to use Annie Sloan brushes but you may use almost any brush you prefer. Apply the paint in evenly and allow it to dry before you begin your second coat.
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Tah-da! Two coats of paint sure makes a difference! So much better......
how to paint your bathroom vanity
I decided to take it up a notch so I began adding gold leaf for a little bling! First decide what are you'd like to embellish and then tape it off carefully. I am using a low tack painters tape so as not to remove any of my fresh paint.

how to paint your bathroom vanity
Once your tape is in place apply an even coat of adhesive to the area that you want to apply your leafing to. I use Artsyville adhesive. ALlow your adhesive to get tacky and clear and then apply your gold leaf over the adhesive. I cut my gold leaf sheets so that I did not waste much and then burnished it very well so that the leafing would stick well.
I use Mona Lisa Simple Leaf........this is an amzing product because the leafing sheet is actually on a sheet of wax paper and greatly reduces the mess of traditional leafing products. A huge plus!
how to paint your bathroom vanity
I then removed the leafing sheets and you can see here that the leaf is now stuck to the cabinet detail that I wanted to bling up.
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Once I removed all of the leaf I then pulled the painters tape off. I found that removing the tape quickly helped to create the sharp line that I was trying to get.
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Next I had to employ the help of my most fabulous hubby! Here you can see him installing my new gold hardware. Thanks Babe!
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Easey peasey! We now have beautiful Graphite cabinets with yummy gold hardware and gold leaf details! This definitely makes me happy!
One more side to go. I have since applied gold leaf to the left side but wanted to share with you the difference. You could just do paint and hardware and still have a stunning finish! It's totally up to you!
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Ooops! I almost forgot! Once my leafing was done I applied two coats of General Finishes topcoat. After all of your hard work you want to protect it well! Just brush it on as you do paint. It is a water based product and will dry quickly. No odor and so user friendly.
how to paint your bathroom vanity
Blessings,
Rhonda

Click here to see how to make over your builder grade vanity with a Hometalk expert, to get a custom look!

• Jane

When did you change the floor? New tile or stenciled?

• Rhonda

Hi Jane....that is my painted tile with a stencil added. I have a tutorial for that also! Let me know if you need help getting your bathroom updated.

Blessings,

Rhonda

• Jae32619336

Did you paint the general finishes topcoat over the whole vanity or just the gold leaf?

• Rhonda

Over the entire vanity that I had painted. Good question!

Blessings....

• Jewellmartin

Could you have painted on the gold? Your method of applying the gold leaf, and the product you chose, makes this really look “easy peasy”! But I’m scared of wasting gold leaf. Or missing spots. How did you come to this decorating choice? ☺️

• Rhonda

Hi Jewel....you could use a metallic paint or a gilding wax if you prefer. I actually tested foil and didn’t like the look.

Its more of a preference than anything.

The leafing that I am using is artificial gold and cheap. I think something like 10 dollars for 18 sheets that are 4 inches x 4 inches. Not expensive at all!

Let me know if I can help you further!

Blessings.....

• Jewellmartin

You are right. I must have priced real gold. Thank you! ☺️

• 33406715

How has your stenciled floor held up? Any scratches or worn spots?

• Diana Douglas

Really pretty! What did you use on the floors? As a side note, I used to live on Friendswood.

• Linda Wilkins Cleary

On your stenciled tile floor did you use the “Old White” chalk paint on the grout lines also ?

• Rhonda

Yes, I applied primer and paint over the grout! I love it! Fresh and clean!

• Kelley Stout

Hi. Do you have a step by step tutorial on how you did the stenciling on your tiles, or a blog post on it? That's something I would definitely want to try. I have boring dark grey tiling throughout my kitchen and bathroom.

• Rhonda

I do! Search “stenciled tile” to find the tutorial. I’ll try to find the link and post it for you also. Thanks!

• DORLIS

I have quarry tile floors throughout the house so would not stencil, and would paint vanity a light color like sand, thanks for the idea.

• Mercedes Norfleet

yes i need to decide what color sceam I won't to do thanks and what did you use for the floor

• Rhonda

Hi Mercedes....I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. The base coat is Old White and the stencil is done in French Linen.