How do I keep ants out of my hummingbird feeder?

+5

How do I keep ants out of my hummingbird feeder? I put water in top and bottom of feeder and it is up high.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Aug 15, 2018

You can use an ant moat or tie the feeder on fishing line (at least a foot long). Ants don't handle crawling on fishing line to well and can only manage a short distance.

• Melanie Melanie on Aug 15, 2018

Sprinkle cinnamon around the area where you see the ants. They do not like the smell and will leave the area.

• Thelma Thelma on Aug 15, 2018

Hi Dj; I put Vaseline on the wire from the branch to the feeder, it keeps all the 'crawlies', even earwigs, out of my hummingbird feeders. The wire hanger {or whatever kind of hanger you use, is what the crawlers use to get to the feeders. The birds themselves are NOT affected like so folks will claim, hummers do not perch sideways on a hanging wire so they will not get any of the Vaseline on their little feet or any other part of them. I have used this method for years and always have lots of hummers around my feeders spring to fall every year.

• DesertRose DesertRose on Aug 19, 2018

You need to kill the intruding colony. This is the best way I know that is safe to your hummingbirds and deadly to the ants: https://www.hometalk.com/36651130/ants-safe-and-effective-cure?r=2

• 1401470 1401470 on Aug 19, 2018

SO this year my plan was to make a hummingbird feeder and turns out the hummingbirds have enjoyed my fresh flowers much more. So think about planting zinnias and lantana next to feed the hummingbirds. Then you can just make them a fun water dish the ants won't be attracted to.

https://www.gardenupgreen.com/2018/07/make-this-hummingbird-water-feeder.html

• Bab27549131 Bab27549131 on Aug 19, 2018

They sell a little container that goes at the top of the hanger. You keep water in it and no ants get into your feeder. My husband made ours. They work great!

• Dj_12453913 Dj_12453913 on Aug 20, 2018

Thanks to all! Great advice! Will try them all! I like the moat

and Vaseline.