DIY Paint Stirrer Crate Planter

$5

I love a house full of plants, but finding cute planters for all of them can be a bit of a struggle. This delightful little crate planter made from paint stirrer sticks proved to be the perfect way to showcase our little pansies. In fact any small plants will looks lovely inside, even the faux ones. And best of all, it takes less than an hour to make and in most cases you can get paint stirrer sticks for free. Win-win!! Add a little birdcage light to add that wow factor and take the planter to the next level.
diy paint stirrer crate planter
What you need:
  • 18 wooden paint stirrers
  • a piece of 1"x 1" (about 32" long)
  • chicken wire
  • staple gun, wire cutters and hand saw

diy paint stirrer crate planter
Paint stirrers have these little notches on the sides that makes it easier to hold while you’re stirring paint. I didn’t really mind that the sticks weren’t completely straight but I decided to cut a piece off the 6 sticks that will form the top and bottom of the crate. You can leave them as is if you want your crate to be wider.

Cut the 1×1's into 4 equal pieces measuring 4 1/4″. They will form the side supports of the crate. Cut two more pieces to support the bottom paint stirrers. The length of these will depend on whether you cut your paint stirrers or not. Attached the 4/14" side supports to the paint stirrers as shown below using a staple gun.
diy paint stirrer crate planter
Staple the longer side pieces onto the shorter sides. Just make sure all those notches are pointing in the same direction for a more professional look  Add the bottom of the crate in the same way.
diy paint stirrer crate planter
Paint the crate to suit your decor before cutting a piece of chicken wire to fit across the bottom of your crate and staple it on. Fill the area behind the chicken wire with a plastic bag to help protect it from water. To hide the plastic bag we used some coconut fiber but moss would look lovely too.
diy paint stirrer crate planter
Add your plants and a pretty bird cage light and the planter's ready to be hung
diy paint stirrer crate planter
I would love to know what you think of the crate planter and whether it's something you would hang on your wall at home. Or if you're looking for more unusual planter ideas then perhaps this Leprechaun shoe planter might work for you. Until next time happy DIY-ing
A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Elizabeth Fox-Wise

That is an adorable idea. How did you light up the bird house?

• Kim

I have a chicken kitchen too! Wow!

• Michelle Obama

Cute! I have a Chicken kitchen ,this would be perfect! How did you get that many paint sticks?

• Hello to another Michelle. We are regulars at our local hardware store and whenever I get a batch of paint they give me a whole bunch of sticks too. I have quite a collection of them already. But as Mary Ann mentioned you should be able to buy a pack of them for a dollar at home depot.

• Em

Why not use lath strips? They are cheaper and have the versatility of longer pieces for projects.