Lindsay Caudle
Lindsay Caudle
  • College Station, TX

From Shabby to Chic! DIY Upholstered Ottoman Makeover :)

$75

I was given an oversized ottoman from a family friend when we moved into our house. It was at least 10 years old and dog chewed. Needless to say it needed a makeover!
from shabby to chic diy upholstered ottoman makeover, crafts, painted furniture, reupholster
First I had to remove the fabric. Lots of staples to take out...
Once I saw the legs on the bottom, I decided to do something different. I went to Lowes and bought fence post toppers for my ottoman legs. They worked and looked perfect!
I sanded the legs with a small sanding block by hand and then spray painted them dark brown with a gloss finish.
I had to cut 6 3x3 blocks from poplar to rebuild the support system for the legs.
I cut 1/4" plywood to fit the inside of the frame so that I could have something to staple my buttons onto.
Then stapled away! Starting with the middle of each side, then worked from the middle out to the corners.
The corners were tricky, I youtube'd a few "how to" videos before doing them :)
ta da!
I used the same fabric to make the buttons for the top of my ottoman.
Threaded the button through the ottoman with wax string and pulled it tight.
Then stapled it tight and we're done!
It was my first time trying this so I'm happy how it turned out!
What do you think?

• Linda Tucker

You did a great job just lovely.

• Molly Chris Mathis

I found 3 old pine tables left over after a yard sale. Owner gave them to me for free! I have wanted to do something like this to them for years. Now that I'm retired, I have the time. Thanks for the inspiration re the legs. That's a great idea!