Turn A Vintage Magazine Rack Into A Quick & Easy Flower Planter

$13

I have a thing for vintage magazine racks, especially the metal or wrought iron ones with curlicues.

Truth be told I love almost anything with curlicues, and the magazine rack that I repurposed for this planter project has plenty of them.

repurposed vintage magazine rack planter
I found it at a local thrift store for $3. It's quite large and had a good weight to it.
It not only has lots of curlicues, but it has lovely leaf details too.
I gave it two coats of an aqua blue paint and primer combo spray paint, letting it dry between coats.
I decided to line the magazine rack with coco fiber. Since none of the pre-made coco fiber liners were close to the right size I bought a coco fiber roll.
It was easy to cut the pieces I needed with regular scissors.
First I put in the side pieces.
Then I fitted the main piece of the coco fiber.

You could do the side pieces after the main piece, but I tried that and didn't like the way it looked. It's just a personal choice really.

The coco fiber is quite rigid and might be harder to manipulate into oddly-shaped containers, but it worked well for this magazine rack

I've read that wetting it a bit makes it easier to work with, but I didn't need to try that.
I just popped a few gorgeous pink mums into my magazine rack, pots and all, and voila... just like that it became a planter.

It took about an hour because of the drying time for the spray paint, but I used that time to measure and cut my coco fiber.

This is a super easy project because I didn't use any soil, and I love that I can change out the plants throughout the seasons... or just because I want to.

For more pics and info on this project visit my Vintage Magazine Rack Planter post on my blog.

If you enjoyed this project you might also enjoy my Repurposed Purse Planter.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 11, 2018 11:47 PM - More info
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage