Wood Bathtub Tray DIY

$0

This was a quick little project I whipped out in an hour or so, but I have already gotten a ton of use out of it. I love baths, and when we put a standalone soaker tub in our bathroom, I definitely wanted to add some items to make it a more relaxing area.

So I made a bathtub tray! Sure, you can buy one, but if you have scrap wood laying around, chances are you can make one for free with just a little bit of
wood bathtub tray diy
Oddly enough, it was the perfect length for the top of my tub! If it were too long, I would have just cut it down and touched up the stain.

I cut two "feet" for the bathtub tray out of another small piece of wood. Basically I just wanted something I could glue to the bottom of the tray to keep it from getting nudged and falling into the bath (along with everything I had on it).

I stained these two little "feet" to match and glued them on using Liquid Nails.
wood bathtub tray diy
Once that was dry, I gave the piece two coats of polyurethane. I actually used a can of Minwax polyurethane aerosol spray I had on hand because I thought it would be easier than painting urethane on. I also wasn't worried about this piece being totally waterproof since it wouldn't be exposed to the elements or submerged in water—it would just be sitting on the top of the bath.
wood bathtub tray diy
wood bathtub tray diy
It turned out great, and I have used it for a variety of things: holding a bowl full of bath bombs, holding jars of bath salts, or holding soap when the bath isn't in use. When it is, it comes in handy for a drink, a book, or a cell phone. My cats like to walk across it too—they are very curious about the water.

If you like the looks of my bathroom, check out my full bathroom makeover post here! It was a MAJOR job taking it from builder-grade beige to modern tones of gray. We also redid our tiny powder room and used black paint...and it looks fantastic!

• Lumber
  • Wood stain
  • Minwax Aerosol Polyurethane
Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn