DIY Elegant Wall Molding

$300

I wanted to give our family room an entirely new look, and this DIY paneled wall treatment makes such an elegant statement.

I do not claim to be a woodworker, but I am pleased with the result and spent around $300 on the wall treatment and paint.

Here is the before of the space:
diy elegant wall molding
I considered bookshelves around the fireplace, but didn't want the stress of styling them. I tried a stencil (faux wallpaper) look, but I still wasn't in love. One day is struck me, and I decided to add some architectural molding elements to the walls.
diy elegant wall molding
I began on the top of the wall and worked my wall down.  I cut a piece of the corner block square edge to size and made sure the top piece was level while attempting to have it as close to the ceiling as possible. I built on that and added other pieces.
diy elegant wall molding
Things do get tricky pretty fast.  I cut pieces of the corner caps and created a frame around the corner blocks.  I then cut pieces of the corner block square edge to fit around the framed corner blocks.  I had bigger gaps than I would have liked, but I used caulk to fill those in (again, I am new to solo woodworking)!

diy elegant wall molding
I continued working my way down the wall and then framed in the rest of the lower portion with the block square edge.  Then I framed inside that with the trim cap.

diy elegant wall molding
I did the same treatment to both sides of the fireplace and painted the entire space navy.
diy elegant wall molding
The result is an elegant look and a finished space! To see the full tutorial, go to my BLOG by clicking here. I share extra details and more photos there.
Sara @ sincerely, sara d.

• Peggy Sosnowski Parks

I like the color Blue ! Love the mirror over the fireplace in the first picture can you tell me where you purchased it ?

• Deborah

I've been in a home with awesome decorative molding and it was all styrofoam. The owner was a craftsman and made them himself. Has anyone tried styrofoam?

• P. Husarek

It is perfect for areas that are not high traffic such as these recessed areas, or crown molding, homes without rambunctious children or pets, etc. Also there seems to be a variation on the quality of the backing foam - the paintable surface is usually pvc so you may want to purchase a single item and put it through some "normal wear and tear style abuse" before you make a final decision.

• Amiee Cooper

What paint color is this? I love it!