DIY Elegant Wall Molding

$300

I wanted to give our family room an entirely new look, and this DIY paneled wall treatment makes such an elegant statement.

I do not claim to be a woodworker, but I am pleased with the result and spent around $300 on the wall treatment and paint.

Here is the before of the space:
I considered bookshelves around the fireplace, but didn't want the stress of styling them. I tried a stencil (faux wallpaper) look, but I still wasn't in love. One day is struck me, and I decided to add some architectural molding elements to the walls.
I began on the top of the wall and worked my wall down.  I cut a piece of the corner block square edge to size and made sure the top piece was level while attempting to have it as close to the ceiling as possible. I built on that and added other pieces.
Things do get tricky pretty fast.  I cut pieces of the corner caps and created a frame around the corner blocks.  I then cut pieces of the corner block square edge to fit around the framed corner blocks.  I had bigger gaps than I would have liked, but I used caulk to fill those in (again, I am new to solo woodworking)!

I continued working my way down the wall and then framed in the rest of the lower portion with the block square edge.  Then I framed inside that with the trim cap.

I did the same treatment to both sides of the fireplace and painted the entire space navy.
The result is an elegant look and a finished space! To see the full tutorial, go to my BLOG by clicking here. I share extra details and more photos there.
Sara @ sincerely, sara d.

• Ida9464

Did a designer help? It looks that way. It was very pretty before but more sophisticated afterward. Very nice job! Gorgeous blue color as well.

• Heather Scherer

Can I paint over my the old paneling in my family room and living room?

• Dee Simmons

What a dramatic difference. Light and airy before to a dark sophisticated look after. I liked both looks but I have always liked more color in living spaces. Great color choices. Beautiful.

• Matu

Now that’s way cool. Love it. Well done

• Margie

I would love to have crown molding around in my dining and living room.we have the darkest paneling on the walls and it is so dark (we built our house in 1985, when that was the thing to do. If I had to say what the color is, I would say dark,dark pecan. Low ceiling hampers a lot of diy projects that we or really me,wants to do. Your redo room is absolutely beautiful and you should be very proud of your work👍😀

• Alethea Davis

Awesome job... Love it....