How to change a boring white fireplace into a focal point??

+4

I have a horribly ugly flat white fireplace that even the "mantle" (cement) is white I live in a small condo and it should be the focal point but it's just boring. It's in a corner of the room which makes it worse because it takes up much needed wall space on 2 walls. I have a livingroom-diningroom combination so that really makes it hard. And to make matters worse EVERY wall in my entire condo is painted tan to darker tan (almost like coffee with a spoon of cream) I'm in a middle unit so I only have one window so I have to leave the lights on all the time because it's pitch dark if I don't. I'm willing to paint the walls (I was thinking white or white with a hint of grey and then medium grey on the fireplace.) I'm trying to put teals blues, and whites in my house to go for a coastal look. Can you help me with this eyesore?

• Carol Armstrong Carol Armstrong on Aug 17, 2018

Tile or a wood facade?

• See 1 previous
    • Carol Armstrong Carol Armstrong on Aug 20, 2018

I ment to suggest tile or a wood facad (fake surround made of wood)

• Kathleen Basiewicz Kathleen Basiewicz on Aug 17, 2018

You didn't say what the ugly fireplace was made with. I am assuming it is wood. It is so easy to lighten up a room. Take a picture of you room and go to the local big box store and spend time looking at the examples they have. You might prefer to go with the chalk paints that they will have and it can be mixed or matched. I painted my walls chalk white, it is like 1 drop of black in quart of white. Very simple.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Aug 17, 2018

Hi Kathy! Lighter would be the way I would go. Have a look at some of the gorgeous new tile available after you have some samples of the colors you will be using, and create a focal point.

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?rs=ac&len=2&q=fireplace%20makeover&eq=fireplac&etslf=8063&term_meta[]=fireplace%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=makeover%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined

• Rymea Rymea on Aug 18, 2018

I picture would help but I happen to love a white fireplace and off white walls.

• Kathy Kathy on Aug 20, 2018

I will have to take a picture and post it