How can I remove rust from garden tools?

+5
  • One of the best ways to remove rust off garden tools is to combine lemon juice and salt in a container and allow your tools to soak for a few minutes. Then, using steel wool (followed by a toothbrush), you can scrub away easily.

• Kathy Kathy on Aug 17, 2018

Try Evapo-rust, soak your garden tools in this solution for 24 hours, the rust will evaporate. I asked my husband about this. But after you let them dry, the next time you use your garden tools, stand them up in a bucket of sand, then you will always know where they are and maybe protected from rust.

Hope this helps

Kathy

• Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Aug 17, 2018

the best way to prevent it is to get a container the is large enough to poke the heads of your tools in, fill it with sand the pour some motor oil on top, plunge the tools in and out a couple of times then just store them in the sand, the sand cleans them and the oil keeps them from rusting, hope this helps and I am told this might even take most of the rust off, hope this helps xx

• Pam Pam on Aug 18, 2018

Like everyone said, scrub with steelwool, dry, then coat with oil. I like linseed oil, if you can find it.

• Alice Alice on Aug 18, 2018

wire brush. Then get a bucket of sand and put some old motor oil in it.

After you have cleaned the tools, put them in the sand/oil and push up and down. the oil will keep rust from returning to the tools. My Dad did this and always had good looking tools.

• Lynne P. Lynne P. on Aug 18, 2018

Thank all for helpful information 😊

• Mom2K9 Mom2K9 on Aug 18, 2018

CLR a wire brush and elbow grease  .

• Oldwestman Oldwestman on Aug 18, 2018

Pour some ATF on the tools let sit for a day and then use a wire brush. When you use your tools clean them off with water and a scrub brush, then wipe them down with an oily rag