Anthropologie Inspired Watershed Curtain Tieback

$1

Even though I don’t have curtains or drapes in my home, I like tiebacks for decorating door handles, lamp shades and chair backs. The Anthropologie Watershed Tieback caught my eye and I knew that with items I already hand on hand, it would cost me less than $58.
Anthropologie Tieback
With most knock-off projects, I start by looking at each component and asking myself, “What does it look like?”
Deck Mop
Apologies to Anthropologie for thinking that their tieback bottom looked like a mop but it did. I had just purchased this $1 deck mop at a Dollar Junk Market to use for a Halloween project but it’s real mission was to be a tieback.

I can only imagine how thrilled the deck mop must be to know it will be a replica of a high end home decor item rather than dyed witch hair.
Disassemble Mop
With this mop, there was a plastic band holding the strands in place. By turning it over and prying the plastic apart, I had just the length of strands that I needed for this project.
Oil Diffuser Cap
I saved the cap from a broken glass oil diffuser and knew that with its multiple openings, it would be perfect for threading the strands. Two strands were threaded through each opening.
Securing Cap
Taking four mop strands, I threaded through the center hole and tied in place underneath. The knot also gave the bottom strands a fuller appearance.
Beads to the Rescue
With these two beads from my craft stash, I threaded a pipe cleaner through them and inserted one end in the center hole of the diffuser cap and twisted to the four mop strands
Beads Secured
Using several upper mop strands as ties, I secured the top of the beads.
Theirs & Mine
And this is how I saved $57 (plus shipping). Admittedly, I had the diffuser cap, beads and pipe cleaners in my stash which helped keep the cost down.

Even better news....there is enough of the mop strands to use for the Halloween project.

23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home

• Ruth
    Ruth

How do you see something and then think of all the parts needed to replicate? You must be a pretty smart lady. Raz

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

I just look at each piece and then think about the possible substitutes. I’m not sure whether I’d say “smart” OR just have enough stuff in my craft stash from shopping with friends to feed my creativity. Thanks for replying. 🙋🏻

• GBK
      GBK

I think yours is much prettier!

• John Friesen
      John Friesen

If you wanted to darken the color of the yarn you could make strong tea and soak it until the color is what you want. Cheap method too.

• Jennifer
      Jennifer

That's what I was thinking. Either way, it's beautiful.

• Shuganne
      Shuganne

I was thinking it might also look closer to the original if some of the mop strings were unravelled or combed out a little. Just a thought. Not as original as yours or the project.😀

• Paperdoll
    Paperdoll

What is a diffuser cap? I guess I must not "diffuse" anything in my house.

• Granny
    Granny

I am a crocheter and there are also some nice really chunky yarns that would work for this. I never have a diffuser cap, though. What else could you use for that?

• Laurel Galvan
      Laurel Galvan

Possibly a perfume cap with holes drilled thru, or a some plastic cap with holes punched through with a hot awl then either sprayed with a metallic paint or gold leaf. These might be an alternative to the nice diffuser.

• Donna Lee Scott Thomas
      Donna Lee Scott Thomas

The original looks like a frosting tip to me!

• Sue
      Sue

You could find a Christmas bell ornament or even paint a funnel

• Donita Kordonowy
      Donita Kordonowy

Any metal that you can form into a "funnel" shape could be used instead of a diffuser cap ... lid to a can of veggies slightly sanded and covered in a corresponding color paint, sealed, and voila

• Donita Kordonowy
      Donita Kordonowy

Could also use oversized buttons instead of beads

• C
      C

Large cake decorator tips

• Marlene Ravey
      Marlene Ravey

When I look at it, I see a small plastic megaphone like you find in craft stores during football season. I would think it already has holes in both ends, then spray paint with metallic paint.

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

Maybe even a narrow cardboard roll covered in fabric. The top would have to have multiple knots to keep in place but I could see beads threaded through the knots.

• Sue
      Sue

Just look around in the craft sections of the discount stores in the kitchen cutlery, air freshener area or hardware store for ideas. You will find something in those areas

• Sue
      Sue

I LOVE the chunky knitting yarns idea as I have tons of this type. AND in the turquoise colors I use in my home so I don't use tie backs but I will find somewhere to use this idea. THANK YOU!!

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Granny, perhaps the ultimate recycle idea of soda can. Cut off off top and bottom then cut strips to any size you like. Using pliers form strips to any shape you desire and glue into shape when happy with your shape. You can paint or use inside can color to show on outside of shape. This would give many options for creative"bling" to tie into and more beads/jewels to be added if desired.

• Leanne
    Leanne

What exactly is a Dollar Junk Market? I googled, came up empty. Are you talking about a Dollar Tree or a Flea Market?

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Yes, either would be correct. Sometimes even yard/garage sales have odds and ends that could be used. Have a hubby?? Check out his tool and nuts/bolts storage.

• Lauren.
      Lauren.

Check out garden centers for hose nozzles ( not sprayers ). Just long cylindrical nozzle that goes on end of hose to spray a stream.

• Rhonda Hasselfeldt
      Rhonda Hasselfeldt

Yes, Dollar Tree, the 99 cent store, any of those low dollar type places should just about do the trick

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

Many flea markets have stores/booths that sell cheap import items. Our local shopping center has an entire store carrying this stuff.

• RJS12857195
      RJS12857195

Dollar tree only 1.00 a piece for mops

• Judy Kelly
      Judy Kelly

I think she means the Dollar Store, Dollar General, etc.

• Mary
      Mary

Yes any of those places carry stuff we can use for just about any craft.

• Lau
      Lau

Good job, absolutely a beauty!...$1 and inspiration...PRICELESS!

• Yrma
      Yrma

yes ! dollar mop dollar tree carries them. or any dollar store.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Teri,

What are you going to use them for?

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

On the back of my dining room chairs for now but I’ll also rotate them to various doorknobs.

• Johnavallance82
      Johnavallance82

Hello again Teri,

You asked if you could use my comment words, just wondered what you wanted to use them for?

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Sorry, A. I like Teri’s better. You won’t miss me. I’ve never bought anything from you anyway. ☺️

Great job, Teri!

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

Right now it’s on a lampshade but it will get moved to be draped on the wood chair back near my front door or on a door knob. A friend suggested a kitchen cabinet knob so I could also use it to wipe the counter or floor. 😳

• Johnavallance82
      Johnavallance82

Hi Teri, Sorry it must be my English sense of fun! You said you liked my words and could you have my permission to use them? I asked back -What do you want to use them for - not the Tie backs but the My Words? I was flattered you should ask! Best wishes..

• Debby Davidson
    Debby Davidson

Sorry, but what is a defused cap?

• Jennifer Himbert Sandahl
      Jennifer Himbert Sandahl

It sits on the jar opening where the oil goes, and the wick threads up through the center hole. You would light the part of the wick that is above the opening on the cap, the rest sits in the oil within the jar. You know those diffusers with reeds? There’s usually a metal ring/ collar/cap that sits around the reeds on the jar—same concept.

• Diane Brenner
      Diane Brenner

Diffuser. It's either a glass or platic bottle full of scented oil topped by a cap that has holes or slits in it in order to diffuse the scent, slowly through the air!

• Debby Davidson
      Debby Davidson

Thank you so much. Guess I learned some thing new. Love the tiebacks. They would be a fun gift.

• Laura theurer
      Laura theurer

I don`t know either.

• Caron Trout
      Caron Trout

a diffuser is a fancy renuzit. It burns oil to release scent

• Mel
      Mel

I hope no one orders the ones that are linked to at the bottom of the article. Those are bead caps and are super tiny.

• Bonnie
      Bonnie

What would one use instead of a difuser cap?

• Rhonda Beirne
      Rhonda Beirne

They are very pretty, but not everyone has a couple of difuse caps laying around.....what else do you think would be useful

• Kar34008420
      Kar34008420

You might find something similar at a craft store or one of those "every things a dollar" store. If there isn't something in the crafts section you can look at caps or tops on bottles or anything that could be used for that purpose. It wouldn't have to be exactly the same as shown on the project. Just alter to fit what you have or can find.

• Mary M
      Mary M

you can fet diffuser caps at craft stotes ir Amazon. Just make sure they aren't too small. You can get a bag with a bunch in them for under $5.

• Nancy Patricia Dorsey
      Nancy Patricia Dorsey

It would be easier to go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby etc... and get a cone shaped metal bead ( used for multiple strands of necklace gathering to a single strand) just check beading dept!

• Janice
      Janice

oil diffuser

in the scented oil aisle

near glade and wizard and stuff

• Lana
      Lana

Perhaps the hardware store? Some kind of interesting fitting may catch your eye!

• Lauren Bopp
      Lauren Bopp

The shape of the Anthropologie version reminds me of the large plastic cap on a bottle of mouthwash. You would have to drill a hole in the top of the cap and paint it, but I think it would work.

• Viv
      Viv

Very good idea!

• Danita
      Danita

I was thinking the same thing.

• Lindsey M. Adelson
    Lindsey M. Adelson

I can’t find the oil diffuser top? Where can I get one and what brand?

• Waban Hickmon
      Waban Hickmon

she said she got hers from her broken oil diffuser lamp. Maybe you have to check thrift store (i go to thrift store, sometimes you never know what you may find there) and you may find something very similar to it.

• Zella
      Zella

Try wish

• Sue McCune Martin
      Sue McCune Martin

I have a feeling you won’t find one without having to buy the whole diffuser. I looked at the other tassel (the one she doesn’t explain how to make) and the metal part looks to me like an icing tip. I’m going to try to use a tip with a large opening and see if it works. Maybe you could also find one with multiple openings. With a spritz of gold spray paint, I think it might work out!

• Mary M
      Mary M

You can get rhem at craft stire or Amazon. Come in a bag. 10 to 50 or so. About $5

• Sandi McCarthy
      Sandi McCarthy

One can buy those cones at a craft store like Michaels, Hobby Lobby or Joannes.

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

My original diffuser was a gift and I broke the glass base so had the cap left in my craft stash. However, I have seen them at thrift stores. Like other comments, I think the cake tip is a great idea or anthing that has a top and bottom opening. Sandi’s comment about the paper mache cardboard cone is fabulous. I’m going to try making one with a fabric covered cardboard roll or poster board cut to size.

• Martha Harness
      Martha Harness

I clicked on the see more button and it took me to Amazon they aren't the diffuser caps but they are pretty they are called Filligree flower caps and you get 100 for $4.99 they also had some cheaper. Hope this helps☺️

• 19698379
      19698379

Maybe you go to the hardware store and look around in the hardware for a similar kind of object. If you find something, you could spray paint it to your desired color.

• 19698379
      19698379

I saw those, also. I wonder how big the hole is.

• Jeannie.mcquaid
      Jeannie.mcquaid

You could also take the plastic cap off a mouthwash bottle, melt a hole in the top with your glue gun tip and spray paint it gold.

• Linda Premo
      Linda Premo

They are more easily found at craft stores now that tassels are so popular. Look in the jewelry section!!

• Cheryl Zeis
    Cheryl Zeis

HOW do they get away with charging so much?! smh

• Lois Rothnie Hughes
      Lois Rothnie Hughes

capitalism

• Sue McCune Martin
      Sue McCune Martin

People are willing to pay to have Anthropologie items.

• Mary M
      Mary M

Some people want a particular look and aren't crafty. And people that have that kind of money spend it.

• Brenda Crespo
      Brenda Crespo

Some people are gifted to see things others don't. God said your gift will make room for you. I agree with Mary M. Plus we have become lazy & rich. Some people buy things like that to validate themselves or they just don't know any better. I love this project & I think it looks better than the Anthropologie one. Good job!!!!

• Teri.jeffrey
      Teri.jeffrey

I’m not sure why anyone would pay $58 for a tieback but I do enjoy playing my own version of the DIY game...”Can I Make It Cheaper?”

• Alexandria
      Alexandria

They can charge so much because people with $$$$$ will pay for it. Most of the time you're just paying for the designers name on it. Which she/he probably never even designed. A person working for them did the design for them.

• 19698379
      19698379

They are able to charge so much because some people don't want to take the trouble to shop around or to diy the project.

• Chrystal Dugger
      Chrystal Dugger

Because ppl buy it. No way am i buying a $57 tieback🤦ill DIY it first!! Looks better and I love DIYs🤗

• Heather Green
      Heather Green

Some people really don’t HAVE the time! I know that’s a fortune to me, but for some, it’s not. I try not to judge, if people made the money, they can spend it the way they want. Someone got paid!! That’s a good thing! I think this was a dynamite knock off, and I applaud your creativity! I love a challenge like that. My next craft project?? A HOUSE!

• Tyler
      Tyler

The only, and I repeat, the only time that I shop at Anthropologie is when they have stuff on last clearance. Most of it is mix and match stuff and it’s the last one of its kind, etc. You can score stuff pretty cheap (in-store).