DIY Fabric "Wallpaper"

$100

Love the look of wallpaper but the price tag can be hard to swallow. Come see how we took this Ikea fabric and turned it into "wallpaper." Such an easy project and it made such a great statement wall!
Measure the area you want to cover and add 6 or so inches to each side to allow for shrinkage. Add more if you plan on pre-washing your fabric. I didn’t pre-wash because i’m a lazy DIY’er.

Steam or iron your fabric to get all the wrinkles out. I also didn’t do this at first and ended up having to steam part of it while the other part was stuck on the wall. FUN times haha!
I started by using thumbtacks and tape to secure my fabric to the top of the wall

Starting at the top corner I rolled some liquid starch on the wall then smoothed my fabric on top of it. Work in small areas because the starch dries fast!

Then roll the liquid starch on top of the fabric. You want to make sure it is completely saturated.
Continue doing this along the whole wall working in 1-2 foot increments. Be careful not to pull the fabric too taught. I used a small sponge brush along the edges to make sure they were very saturated and I used pins every foot or so to really secure it while it dried.

Allow to dry completely. At this point I taped all the excess back to the wall. It will look splotchy until it dries. 

Use an x-acto knife to trim off the excess

Jenna Allen

• Sue

Question, how do you remove from wall?

• J

Warm water in a spray bottle. Peel off fabric and wash wall.

• Laura C. Fergie

What about textured walls? How would it work for them?

• Susan

Seriously... How long does this stay on? Til you take it off?? Wow!! I have paneling in my bedroom of all places and dying to get rid of it! But there's a reason it was covered.... My theory. I painted it, just not the same ugh. I'm trying to think of everything! Cheaply as well! So just liquid starch huh??

• Kath NY

Can you do this on a bathroom wall?

• Mari Tarasovich

Steam from a show would most likely cause it to do the same as a water spray bottle to take it off.

• Sheila Ryan

My mom did this all the time back in the 60’s. We were a military family & moved often. Plus with 5 kids this was an easy fix. She just used whatever fabric she liked ( back then fabric was cheap!) & wall paper paste. When it got dirty or she got tired of it, she’d just pull it off the wall. She even put it over wood paneling. She’d catch a corner & peel it off. Then throw in the washer & reuse. Guess she was way ahead of her time.

• Wishy washy maybe

Looks Great! Very brave of you to work with a graphic pattern that needs to be straight. But you nailed it.