DIY Weed Killer

$15

Control those pesky weeds with this easy DIY Weed Killer!

Crab grass and bermuda grass are big contenders in our backyard area. I don't mind them growing in the lawn (if it's green and mows, it lives), but when they begin invading our patio, sidewalk, driveway, and flower beds, it's time to do something.

A few years ago, I tested some DIY weed killers, including plain boiling water, and I loved the results. (https://thekitchengarten.com/diy-weed-killers-tested/) The boiling water was great, because it was always on hand, but the constant boiling and carrying the water in and out of the house was a bit of a hassle.

So after a few years of tweaking the DIY weed killer recipe, I have finally settled on a combination that I like. It takes minutes of mix and I can knock out all of the weeds in one session, instead of the constant back and forth.

*As a note, I do not use this DIY weed killer, or any other, in my  .

Replace the lid on the sprayer, and gently swirl around the ingredients. You don’t want to shake it so vigorously that the soap foams too much.

Pump up your sprayer, and wet the weeds with your DIY weed killer solution.

You should be able to see a difference within 8 hours of spraying the DIY weed killer. After the weeds have died, you can pull up what's left of them, or leave them be. Either way, they shouldn't be a problem anymore!

Courtney |The Kitchen Garten

• Che11835076

Does it kill roses that the crap grass is wrapped around?

• Susanne Constantino

MINT IS TAKING OVER MY GARDEN! It is all around my roses, and they don't look healthy anymore.

Will this solution hurt my roses and will it kill the mint?

• Susanne Constantino

Thank you for such a quick response.

If I put the barrier in, a section at a time, can I put the solution on that area? Do you think it'll kill the mint? The area is so large, and I don't want to hurt my roses.

• Sher Thurber

How much of each ingredient do you use?

• Sandy Kluth

I use 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt and a tablespoon (or a little more) of Dawn dish soap

• Ldf6758

Can I use table salt?

Thanks so much for posting!

• You can use table salt, but it will affect your soil much more significantly than epsom salt (which actually isn't salt at all ironically). Usually people put table salt in places they don't want anything to grow. Hope this helps!

• Ldf6758

Thanks for answering. I'll get the epsom salt tomorrow!