Anthropologie Inspired Picture Frame

$1

This week's challenge is themed for Anthropologie Knock offs. Now, admittedly mine is a much more "inspired" than a knock off. No one is ever going to see my picture frame and think it came from Anthropologie but I could see someone saying that they liked it, knowing that it was hand made and then I could tell them that I was inspired by one from Anthropologie. This picture frame is probably one of the easiest projects that I have done in months and that means it was really enjoyable and relaxing! I love those kind of projects. It really went fairly according to my plan and that almost never happens.  This would be a great end of summer activity for kids and you can use any combination of colors. Red, White and Blue for Labor Day? The frames are only $1 a piece so it is affordable as well as fun!
anthropologie inspired picture frame
The only thing that I had to buy was the picture frame. I picked it up at Michaels for one dollar!! Love that. I had gold spray paint, light blue craft paint, cream colored craft paint (I have oodles of white but no cream so I used Mother of Pearl but I recommend using cream instead of a translucent color) and I used marbling solution but that is totally optional. I think that I would have achieved similar results without the marbling solution.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Step 1. I spray painted the frame gold and I even left the paper in the middle so that it would look more like the Anthropologie one. If you remove the paper there is no backing just a hole.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
All gold... I didn't even wait for it to dry before starting my next step.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Step 2. I put my colors into small plastic cups. ( I mixed mine with marbling medium but this is optional.)
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Step 3. Have fun with this step. Drizzle your colors at random. You can't mess this up.
Step 4. I felt that a damp rag or sea sponge might give me more the look that I wanted so I found a scrap of sponge in my supplies. I used it damp and blotted off on a dry paper towel.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
After I did that step, welp, that wasn't the look that I was going for...
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Step 5. I got the cream colored paint cup and drizzled more randomly on top.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Not an exact match, but it was fun and relaxing and that is exactly what I needed this weekend. This would be a fun project for little ones to give as a gift. If I were doing it again or making a suggestion for you... small blobs. Mine got too large. Also, I was heavy handed with the blue. Light thin lines of blue, if you are trying for the inspiration frame.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Step 6. I painted the outer edge and inner edge cream well, Mother of Pearl but I wish it were cream and I may break down and buy some cream and repaint these edges.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
It looks messy and random but I love abstract art. I didn't when I was younger but now some of my favorite pieces of art are abstract designs.
Now to find a picture to go in this frame...But, it is kind of pretty as just a piece of art to admire.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
**FYI tip**... It was hard to find a picture that didn't clash with the frame. The pattern is very prominent and the blue and gold tended to clash with colors in the picture so I had to go back to a picture of me in my twenties to find one that would work. I suggest you start with a picture and use colors that complement the picture that you wish to frame.

I am planning on buying a couple more frames and doing some experimenting with this process so stay tuned for TAKE 2 of my Anthropologie Inspired Picture Frame.**Update** Well, my second frame turned out to be an epic fail. So, I'm just going to end it with my first frame.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
anthropologie inspired picture frame
After thinking about my failed frame for a day, I went and dumped all three colors mixed with marbling medium and tipped it back and forth. It might not be too bad of a fail after all. I think with all the movement in the frame, I will put a small object in the center. It would be hard for a picture to compete with all the action of the marbling.
anthropologie inspired picture frame
Again, if you love fun, easy, inexpensive projects, this one is for you!!!
anthropologie inspired picture frame
One idea that I had was to add a number, for instance, number of people in your family and this would make an awesome gallery wall addition. I just drew this one by hand to see what it would look like but now I think I will get a stencil and do it properly.

• Sugarbaker

Stacy! What fun! I really like the second one with all the marbling and no large drops of paint. I love the idea of keeping the picture simple. The #6 is really very clever and a good conversation starter! Not to mention the creative frame around it. Did you coat it with any poly or clear coat? I think that would be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I will definitely give this one a try! And I will definitely do one with my grandson who is 4. I might get the spray paint done before I work on one with him! Thank you for a nice inexpensive craft project with lovely results!

• Stacy Davis

Thank you! I didn’t coat it yet with poly or clear coat because I haven’t decided if I was finished with the results yet. But yes absolutely you should. I have a tendency to tweak things for awhile until I am 100 % sure I am done.

• Barbara

Really love the second one! Make a bigger one for a statement piece!

• Pmdbio

I like that you shared your try, try & try again motivation. I do marbling on canvas, most of the time. Thank you for the idea to marble a wide picture frame. I look forward to making some for gifts. Yours is beautiful.