Anthropologie Knockoff Shelf

$15

Saw a 3-tier shelf on the Anthropologie website that I thought would work in our bathroom. But - the price tag of $198 seemed a bit steep for me. I made my version in about an hour (not including paint dry time) and for $15. It would be more if you have to buy the wood for the shelves, but I just used scrap...
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Here's the original screenshot of the shelf I like.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Here's my pile of supplies... cafe curtain rod, dowel, wall anchors, pint sample of paint, rope, & double-pointed tacks. Wood from our scrap pile cut to 3 lengths of 24, 12, & 6 inches.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
I started with painting the wood & curtain rod holders. Because the wood was scrap, it had other paint spills & weird marks on it I didn't feel like sanding off. The rod holders were a bright brass to start. We had the paint matched to the dowel color - think we came pretty close.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Here's my "before" picture of where the shelf is going. Pretty cluttered & my daughter calls the metal shelf "sketchy" as it likes to move a lot...
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Used a level to mark the wall for the rod holders...
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Put wall anchors in - they're the screw-in type.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Put up the dowel - the rod holder is the kind that screws in to hold the rod. Stronger is better in my mind.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Measured the rope. I wanted the shelves to hang down from the dowel as far as they are long. So, as this shelf is 24", the rope needed to be 6 times that. Instead of doing math, I just held the rope across the length 6 times & cut it. This pic is showing where I wanted to put the first tack. 1 inch away from center, 1 tape measure width from the edge. I figured this could easily translate to each shelf.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Held on to the staples with needle-nose pliers so I didn't hit my fingers with the hammer.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Here's the bottom of the shelf once the rope is on.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Hung the first shelf, made sure it's level... then repeated the process for each shelf.
anthropologie knockoff shelf
2 shelves up & loaded - I love this look!
anthropologie knockoff shelf
Final look - all 3 shelves complete!

• Connie Forte

Hello ma'am but I was wondering if you could use chain instead of rope for this project? I love it. You did a fantastic job on it.

• Jewellmartin

You certainly could use chain. But Deborah was making a knock off of an Anthropologie design that used some sort of rope or twine. With chain, you might need to use a real carpentry stapler. Best wishes ☺️

• Deborah Perrin

Yes - I considered that as one of my options. I used the rope because I have it around a frame in that bathroom. Just "tying" it in. Lol.

• Lee Rakoskie

Actually it is metal, not rope on the Anthropologie piece so chain would be in keeping with original design... Go for it Jewell!

• Deborah Perrin

Ldr9927357 - that's why it's a "knockoff" - changing elements of the design. Otherwise, I would call it a "copy."

• Lee Rakoskie

My comment was not a critique of your use of rope it was to encourage Jewell for using what works for her. If I did this for my kitchen I would use copper tubing since my accents are copper. Please do not assume every comment is rude.