A Coastal Farmhouse Kitchen!

$500
2 Weeks

The kitchen in our Victorian farmhouse style home was kind of bland and boring. A few fairly easy updates has bought us some time until we can do a more extensive remodel later. Check it out!
Here is the realtor photo of the kitchen- very farmhouse, even more so than I like.
And here's an all over after. I kind of hate closed off upper cabinets, so removing the doors on most of the uppers was the very first thing that I did. I also painted the uppers off white and the lowers a mint green.
I added subway tile to the backsplash and carried it over the top of the cabinets as well. I'm a huge fan of subway tile- it's such a classic look, inexpensive, and an easy DIY!
Here you can get a better look at the subway tile over the cabinets...and also how I tend to change things up on the shelves and counters :-) We also changed out the lighting by adding this coastal-vibe chandelier in place of the fluorescent lighting strip that was in here before.
We don't have a separate dining room in our house, just this little eat in dining area. It's a little small for us and how we live and entertain right now, but we make it work. Luckily in Georgia, where we live, the outdoor entertaining season is most of the year!
This hutch is an antique, made by my family years ago- they were furniture makers. I love having it in this space!
Thanks for taking a peek at my kitchen! Check out the full blog post for the full tour!

Beth

• Marge

What did I miss...Took another look, and discovered that doors left open (initially I had thought 'glass'). So much better than black gadgets/gidgets handles visually smacking you in the eye...great idea, job!

• Linda Cox

I’m not a fan of subway tile but I love this! Taking it up over the cabinets just elevates the look. Great job!

• Marie Tuttle

This project looks great, but we live in a mobile home and the cabinets and doors have the picture type finish. Could we paint over the doors as you have. My cabinets are dark reddish mahogany and I was thinking of painting the doors a light color, maybe light tan or ?? Do you or anyone have any suggestions. I love your colors, but my home is mostly tan. Darn, the mobile home manufacturer uses the same color for the whole house. I'm open for any CHEAP ideas as we are retired and on a very tight budget. Thanks, Marie

• Kathy Erhart Landis

I read once where someone peeled all the paper type material off their cabinets. Removed the sticky residue and lightly sanded and painted the doors.

• Linda Lu Durk

This looks very pretty BUT....I bought a house with 3 smaller glass door cabinets. Im changing to solid doors. I found that i need solid doors because i need all of my cabinet space. Unless you have a large pantry you need storage space for actual food and items that are not pretty and decorative. (Sippy cups, plastic bowls, travel mugs, plastic storage containers, etc, etc...) This (open cabinets) looks nice but how practical is it for the average family?

• Tammy

This is so true to the average living person rather than the model home that nobody actually lives in

• Lovesunique

Lovely look. Dark hinges that show sure make a kitchen look busy (before pic).

• Patricia Lowry Thornton

I could never do this because I don’t have all matching kitchen ware and I would have never get rid of 1/2 my bowls, platters etc to make it NEAT looking. Need my “stuff “.