Asked on Aug 19, 2018

How can I put flooring over existing tile?

Courtney |The Kitchen GartenL. CreativeNanaBeth85
+6

My bathroom is 1950ish. Floor is solid and has the small tiles in pink. Is there a way to lay a new floor over it instead of busting it all out? Tile also runs up the wall and I was going to paint that.

• Patricia Jones
    Patricia Jones

Leave it alone. Do not destroy something you will regret. MCM is in. I would be more concerned having a back door in my bathroom.

• Haw20752617
      Haw20752617

It's on the 2nd floor. Wanted to put a window but would have to tile the wall to match.

• Bonnie West
    Bonnie West

Keep the tile!!! it is wonderful.

• Delle
    Delle

My question is, are you planning to stay in the house or sell it fairly soon? If you want to stay but can't live with the floor, then do what you can live with over what some future owner might like. If you do a floating floor of a vinyl that has a built-in underlayer, you can lay it right over the tile without having to glue it down or otherwise ruin the tile, and that way you could really have it both ways. A future owner could easily "restore" the 1950s style by taking up the fake wood. Or perhaps by then, he'd want something different. Pink is out right now, anyway, but who knows when it will be given a different twist and be back in?

• Haw20752617
    Haw20752617

True, good idea.

• NanaBeth85
    NanaBeth85

1. Refresh the tile! Zap grout cleaner or 10:1 muriatic acid to water solution. You will love it again!!

2. There is a grout plastic/epoxy sealer/cover/layer you can buy on the internet. We paid way to much for pro installation, but it lasted 12 yrs without touch up! Total refresh!!

• L. Creative
    L. Creative

You can use leveling compound so that you don’t have to take the tile up and you won’t have ‘transfer’ which is when the tile starts showing through the one piece vinyl over time. Just make sure you account for the transitions before you start the projects!

• You can lay luxury vinyl tile (LVT) over tile floors. Thicker LVT is quite nice and is grouted just like ceramic and stone tile. (We have the same pink bathroom in our house, and have just left it until a total gut job can be done.)