How do we get rid of poison oak/ ivy organically ?

+5

How do we get rid of poison ivy and poison oak in our garden plot? I’m having a hard time working in the garden because I cannot seem to get rid of this. We would love to do this organically, but if not, then we want to protect our plants and food. But I cannot continue to live on calamine lotion! So any help please?

• Magnolia Mama Magnolia Mama on Aug 19, 2018

Manually pulling it after a good, soaking rain is the most effective way that I've found. Put on a nitrile or vinyl glove and put your hand inside a plastic shopping bag. Grab the base of the plant with the bag and pull firmly but slowly to get all of the root. When you have removed the plants and root, pull the bag over the whole thing and tie the bag closed. Carefully remove gloves and wash well with cool water and Dawn soap. Warm water will one the pores in your skin and allow any oils on your skin to penetrate. Pulling plants when they are small is easier.

• Bonnie Bonnie on Aug 19, 2018

we pulled them out and I’m on week 3 of having poison ivy and we also have a bunch of poison oak. We inherited the plot and I think years of growing have made it think it can continue to live in our plot. I cannot garden until we get it sorted

• Kathryn Kathryn on Aug 19, 2018

A warning, NEVER burn trash with Poison Ivy or Oak in it. You can inhale the fumes, not good.

• Bonnie Bonnie on Aug 19, 2018

Yes, we have a dumpster so we pull and put in the garbage bags and throw out. We are in a community garden area... just trying to get rid of it so I can go and get some of our vegetables and weed.. but as I keep picking up the poison ivy/ oak- I’m hesitant to be in there

• Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on Aug 19, 2018

First wash your hands, arms and face with techno soap. Pull, pull, pull. Hoe, hoe, hoe. Cover with black plastic and let the sun and heat work their magic. Then wash again with the techno soap. Wash your clothes immediately. I had a friend who rid his yard of poison ivy by covering it up with old rugs. It looked awful but did the job. Good luck!

• Joyce Brown Joyce Brown on Aug 19, 2018

Pickle juice-kosher style. Pour it directly on the poison ivy and oak.

If you have access to goats, they eat the stuff like a delicacy. The goats suffer no adverse effects.

• 1401470 1401470 on Aug 19, 2018

The best way to get rid of this awful plant is with goats. They will eat the root and all so if you have a friend with goats see if they may bring a few over to spend a day clearing for you.