How do I repaint a garden ornament made of concrete?

+12

It is a big toadstool, with two little toadstools and a garden gnome leaning against the bog toadstool stem. The paint has long ago worn off—it was mymother’s. I need to know preps to paint and any tips anyone might have to share.

q how do i repaint a garden ornament made of concrete
  • Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Aug 19, 2018

https://www.hometalk.com/3899866/paint-concrete-without-priming

this is a link from one of our home talkers who painted her mothers concrete chickens, hope this helps xx

• Helen Bleazard Helen Bleazard on Aug 19, 2018

Hi there

Wash the statue with plain water, do not add anything to the water because the concrete will absorb whatever is in the water, which can have a negative effect on paint you apply to the statue. Scrub the statue until you get the large areas as clean as you’d like them. Use a toothbrush to scrub the smaller nooks and crannies in the statue.

Use acrylic latex paints on concrete as they are recommended for their ability to soak into the concrete and stain it beyond its surface. Acrylic latex paints also don’t dry and crack like a shell over time, like oil-based paint does. Let the paint dry completely between coats - two to three coats should do the trick.

Once you are happy with the results then cover the statue with UV/Water sealant to protect the paint from the elements.

Hope this is of help.

Happy painting.

• Trish Trish on Aug 19, 2018

I would just clean it good and paint it with acrylic paint. I did several a few years ago. Painted them bright colors. Let it dry then painted ever it with black paint then wiped the black off. It darkened the cracks and crevices and looked great. Good luck!

• Homeroad Homeroad on Aug 20, 2018

I used something called Patio Paint on mine and it worked great. It is available on Amazon (affiliate link) https://amzn.to/2L9zWy3

• DonnaL DonnaL on Aug 20, 2018

If you want it to just look like fresh concrete, Valspar has concrete sealer. They also have stain and bonder.

• Willow Morningdew Willow Morningdew on Aug 20, 2018

I used acrylic paint and concrete sealer

• Kathy Kathy on Aug 20, 2018

I have a large concrete water fountain and this year I painted it with flex seal, and so far it seems to hold up well ito all elements of weather. Flex seal only comes in a few colors, but perhaps the white could be tinted and is a little on the pricey side.

• Crystal Seiders Crystal Seiders on Aug 20, 2018

There is concrete paint, at home depot&lowes. Or use marine paint.

It is waterproof, made for boats. Wont peel off.

• A A on Aug 20, 2018

I've always just used spray paint and you can get it in a granite or other textured finish.

• Holly Adams Holly Adams on Aug 21, 2018

I used craft paint (those little bottles in fabrics and crafts in Walmart) and then polyurethaned It. Make sure you cover the whole thing. Also, did the same thing on the floor of my porch. It turned out great!

• Katrena Katrena on Aug 22, 2018

I did all three of my bird baths Last Summer with the folk art acrylic paint that is in the craft section at Walmart and I sprayed Krylon clear spray paint over the top and it looks as good as new this year and it's a plus that they are only $0.50 a piece

• Gin33642280 Gin33642280 on Sep 18, 2018

You can buy the paints at Walmart in craft section and detail it, or buy some spray paint and paint it all one color. Again it's at Walmart. Happy painting