Hostas Are Not Just for the Ground

They can be divided and shared 3 out of 4 seasons and with so many sizes and colors you cannot go wrong!
You can grow them in the ground.
You can grow them in pots.
You can grow a few in the sun and many in shade.
Some are small and some are tall.
Some are fragrant while others are not.
But when it comes to a plant that can share a space and give you years of enjoyment, Hostas (or Plantains as many tags will read) are the easiest plant to grow. They are not foolproof since they can be attacked by slugs, voles, and eaten by deer but if you are vigilant you can overcome these destructive forces and enjoy a beautiful garden filled with hostas.
Hosta play well with others.
That is why they make a great container plant for the shade (or if you have a sun loving variety). I love impatiens with Hosta in simple pots to add color in the shade. Many green and variegated hosta can tolerate some sun as long as you keep it well watered. I use hosta in the shade here in zone 7 because I do not want to water twice a day (and my thoughts are 'why make more work for yourself?".
I use hosta anywhere I need to fill in a spot. Many of the hosta I use in pots are overwintered in the pots and then I only need to add the annuals for color. In zone 5 and under, I would overwinter the hosta next to the house or protected area so that they do not die from the freeze.
Do not be afraid to mix hosta with any of your favorite plants in your garden.
Do not be afraid to divide the hosta every spring and if it gets too large for the pot during the summer . I have had to divide hostas in the summer when I underestimated how large the hosta was going to grow. That happens to me a lot.
I do divide in the pots every spring though. Hostas recover quickly from division and with adequate water your hosta will not even know you took a chunk. Since I am running out of room and I save many hosta from ‘predators’ -deer, slug, & voles, I am always sharing and swapping with other gardeners.
I hope this gives you ideas to expand your container gardening and include hostas. The best advantage to using hosta as the accent plant in a container is the cost-free!
Happy Gardening!
hostas are not just for the ground, container gardening, flowers, gardening
I saved this hosta after voles had eaten the roots and had no room in the shade garden
Adding Caladium is one of my fave plants to add with them
Colocasia (black Elephant ears), Coleous, Impatiens, Sweet Potato vine, and a hosta.
A saved hosta still in its pot from last fall when it was devoured by the deer on top and voles on the bottom
Took some Creeping Jenny from neighbors patch which was spreading too much.
I just love Impatiens in my galvanized buckets with hosta. A vinca and a daylily from the dirt...surprises

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Joy Gleis Brooks

How well do Hostas grow at 7,800 elevation in CO on the front range? We do get snow which usually melts fast.
    • I would check out your local nurseries for hostas that thrive in your area- Hostas are usually zones 4-8 so I would think you have a hosta for your area
  • Patti

Please tell me what is a vole. Thanks
    • a vole looks like a mouse but has a short tail and they run and travel in the mole runs to find tender roots of shrubs and perennials such as hostas.
  • Patti

Is it the same as a mole?
  • Tomyy

How do you keep deer from eating Hostas
    • Paula

I spray them with Deer Fence. There are also many sprays you can make from things like cayenne pepper, vinegar (not sure about that) and other ingredients. I haven't tried them.

• Connie Shaw

I live in Arizona, it has been 100- 115 degrees for the last month, can I grow a Hosta even in the shade?
    Thank you
    Connie

• Bernice H

ha! I am a hosta addict! They are so faithful and enduring. No trouble from them! I have also used leaves in vases in the house when I need some greenery. I have 7 or 8 varieties and am always looking for more.Isnt it the most exciting to see them pop up as winter is leaving..then I know winter is done!

• Kyralee

I love that last container combination: Hosta, impatiens, vinca. They say imitation is the best form of flattery. I will definitely be copying your look.