How to make garden without planting anythin?

+7

My husband and I just cut down a dyin, overgrown bush. It was in a corner where 2 walls meet and we want to decorate the area some how but we can't plant anythin because there is not enough sunlight. I don't have much money but I have some little plastic white picket fencin, a ceramic boot and a decorative ceramic pot that I got for free I am pretty sure I can find more free stuff or go to thrift stores and yard sales. I have a very creative imagination but I just can't figure this one out on my own can somebody please help me?

q how to make garden without planting anythin

You can barely see it because I took the picture at night but I have some fake flowers in the ceramic boot and it sittin on one of the stumps from the old bush. The other pot is in the far right corner they are both pretty small and don't fill up much space please help.

• Marilyn Marilyn on Aug 21, 2018

If your a thrift store addict like I am you can design this area with lots of items. If you can locate a nice statue of sorts you can elevate its height (if its a short statue) on an overturned pot to make it taller for the rear corner and add thrift store foliage around the base of the pot. If you have a color scheme in mind to brighten the dark area such as greens and whites then you can spray paint any color foliage you find in the stores to match in color. Fabric foliage can also be bleached to make colors fade out. The boot would be pretty to have some fake ivy spilling from it and your sure to find some of that at the thrift store!

If you want a live plant get a Hosta or other shade lovering plants (know your region and the moisture level of this area also. If it's getting too wet the plants may continue to drown here). Hostas love the shade but mature plants can be pricey so if your willing to wait a few years for mature ones get the bulbs and add the fake flowers and greenery until the hosta start to fill in the space.

Have fun with this one. You have a corner that's just waiting to become center stage here. It has great potential.

• Chris aka monkey Chris aka monkey on Aug 21, 2018

hmmm ceramic boot, ceramic pot white picket fence imagination, yard and thrift sale shopper sounds like the makings of a cool spot, I would start with the ground using your skills find something to make the dirt look better sand, rocks, mulch pallets what ever you can find that you like and work from there, maybe a small water feature using your boot and pot or putting artificial plants in them dollar store had some nice looking succulents and usually has some artificial grasses you could expand it as you get things that you like, just use that ole noggin and I am sure you will have a awesome corner, hope this helps xx

• Add some stones and create a vignette with the items you have. Add some smaller planters and stack for various height and add some shade-loving plants and flowers. Good luck! Hugs, Holly

• Gk Gk on Aug 21, 2018

You will want to pull up/dig out the roots of the bush. It may regrow if you don't.

• G G on Aug 21, 2018

Cover the ground with something, either much, stone or even pavers. Style the corner with pots of fake or real plants in different color & heights. It might be a nice corner to add a bird house, feeder. & bird bath. If you aren’t renting & the landlord will allow you can attach some outside art to the walls.

• Judi Judi on Aug 21, 2018

You could add a couple of lawn chairs and a small table for a conversation area.

• Eloise Eloise on Aug 21, 2018

Lots of ideas for shade container plants here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=potted+plants+for+shade

• Rynn Rynn on Aug 21, 2018

First, I would place a trellis (or a piece of fence) catty-cornered. Then plant a vine ( real or silk) to trail up the trellis. Cover the remaining area with stones, mulch, or pine needles-- whatever is handy as a ground cover. You might also place a shepherds's hook to one side and hang either a bird feeder or a plant. Place your existing ceramic pieces. As other have said, vary the heights of the items for visual interest. Best wishes !!

• Heje Heje on Aug 28, 2018

My first thought was hostas, coleus, coral bells - they all love the shade. Among them you can mix in your outdoor "chauchees".

• Grahame Grahame on Aug 28, 2018

You can use all artificial plants and trellis