Upcycled Patriotic Wreath

$5

This t-shirt sheet had seen better days but I kept in the linen closet because I just knew I could use it for something. Surely, I'm not the only one who keeps sheets with holes in hopes of a cool project!
This t-shirt sheet was destined for the trash! It had several holes and was stretched beyond belief!
I snipped through the elastic on one side and ripped the fabric until I reached the other side.
I tied strips of the sheet around a floral ring with a simple crossover then a twist.
After twisting each tie, I scrunched the fabric to meet the previous tie on.
I did that until the entire ring {minus an inch gap at the top for my hanger} was covered. Doesn't really look like a wreath, I know...
...but, if you gather all the ends and flip them to the edge, you'll reveal the center and...
...it will look more like a wreath!
For my hanger, I used a pair of jeans my son had outgrown. I cut two small snips in the bottom then ripped upwards, creating a raw edge on the side.
I used a paint pen to draw on a few stars ;)
What project would be complete with hot glue? I used it here to adhere my denim hanger.
I also used it to attach a lace bow.
That same lace made for a great hanger in the back.
A little fluffing and it's ready to hang!

Angela Davis- A to Z Custom Creations

• Jan

Could you use a bleach pen on the denim instead of the paint?

• Grandmasue10

I doubt you could use a bleach pen. It would run and spread outward. Maybe if you put some Crisco or Vaseline to out line the star; then you have to remove that stain.

• Teri

How do you hang it exactly?

• Fran Valente Lowell

It looks as though she used a piece of wire, possibly from a wire hanger, and attached it to the circular wood "frame" used to tie the red sheets on.

• Shirley

About how long were your strips for the wreath? I suppose if too long they'd start to droop? Is the center piece something from Hobby Lobby or Michaels-type stores? Cute, cute idea....God Bless America!!

• Janet Krug

I want to try this in green for St. Paddy's Day. I made a red, white and blue one out of hankies last year.

, Made out of hankies from Walmart and a packet of stars from Dollar Tree Oh and a wire wreath base from an older project
  • Carole Thomas

Canada's 150th birthday is coming July 1st. This would be great in red and white. Happy Birthday Canada