Painted Cedar Chest - From a Grandma to Her Teenage Granddaughter

$120

This cedar chest was a custom order I receive from a grandma who wanted to gift her soon-to-be teenage granddaughter. She wanted something unique and useful, that her granddaughter would be able to enjoy for many years to come.
I found this chest on Craigslist for a $70. It was in pretty bad shape. Missing veneer, scratches everywhere, even a broken foot.
It took me several hours to repair and prep this piece before I could start painting it.
After I cleaned and primed the chest with clear shellac, I applied a base coat of Fusion Mineral Paint Lamp White. Once that coat was dry, I started painting in a technique I called "texturized blending". I used FMP Lamp White and Ash for this project. I pour two blobs of those two colors side by side in a paper plate and started the blending.
I sprayed some water on my chip brush then grabbed a bit of both colors on my brush.
Then I started dabbing both colors on the surface, starting from the middle and moving towards the edges. In my video tutorial you can see exactly how I applied the paint to achieve the texture I was going for.
I kept going... Water, paint, dabbing, water, paint, dabbing... I decided to leave the bottom and the edges a little darker that the middle areas.
I brushed some silver paint on the beautiful appliqué on the front. I also painted the legs with a mix of the dark gray (FMP "Ash") and a metallic black (Modern Masters Black Pearl). Finally, I sealed the entire piece with General Finishes Water Based Top Coat, satin.
Here is the final result. I have a more detailed tutorial on my blog post, so check it out if you want to try this technique.
Here is the five-minute video tutorial showing how I did it.

I hope you enjoyed! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks for reading!

Pat Rios | The Wood Spa

• Ncbmoon

Do you have an artist background? This is beautiful. Also, do you have any tutorial of fixing furniture. I have a piece that is missing some rope trim but I'm not sure how I would fix that.

• Robyn Garner

You can easily make a mold for the missing rope section by putting glue from your glue gun over an intact section. When cool, carefully peel it away and use that as a mold filling it with bondo or similar. Finally, just glue that new piece where the missing rope detail is!

• Stephanie Slack

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love what you did!

• Shellie Jo Jones

Could this technique also be used in a bathroom on the walls??

• Christine Garbo

I used this technique on my kitchen walls, with a sheepskin pad because the walls are larger. It hid the damage. Lovely.