Asked on Aug 22, 2018

How do I update kitchen cabinets on a budget?

WilliamKelly-n-TonyCaroline Forwood
+8

I have a very small, very outdated kitchen. How can I brighten and modernize it on my fixed income?

• Nan W.
    Nan W.

PAINT! ...primer and then two coats of paint. (be sure to take off hinges and hardware first. ...then... you may want to change hardware --- they sell knobs an handles in bulk at Home Depot and Lowes.

• Kimberly Smith
    Kimberly Smith

I would love to see some pictures if you have any! Are the cabinets in good condition? You could paint them or have them resurfaced. New hardware can make all the difference, too!

• Kimberly Smith
      Kimberly Smith

Thank you! I definitely agree that paint could make a huge difference. You may want to look into an alkyd enamel paint. I used it for my front door and so far it's been super durable. What color are you thinking you would like?

• Frances Arlene
    Frances Arlene

CHALK PAINT IS THE WAY I WOULD GO NO PREPPING TO DO.

• Gre33950893
    Gre33950893

Habitat for humanity has cabinets and fixtures for very little. Another option. Remove doors and drawers and paint them. Clean old hardware or replace. I took up my formuca counters and replaced with butcher block from big box store. Backsplash is inexpensive if you are careful. New curtains. Paint.

• Susie Spriggs
      Susie Spriggs

Thank you. Even at a bargain, I can’t afford to pay someone to install new cabinets. My funds will have to go toward countertops, which I will have to have installed professionally.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

• Caroline Forwood
    Caroline Forwood

Paint is the best update! Use an enamel in kitchen for easy clean up.

• Kelly-n-Tony
    Kelly-n-Tony

Paint is your friend and can make a HUGE difference! Also consider changing or painting the hardware.

William

Paint the cabinets. Cheap. You can also paint countertops. Rustoleum, Daich, or Giani countertop paint kits. Cheaper than replacing.

Painting cabinets.

Make sure they are clean and dry. Remove the doors and hardware. Mark the doors and cabinets with tape where they go. Lightly sand the doors and cabinets to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint with 220 grit sandpaper or a green Scotch Brite pad.. Use a tack cloth or damp rag to remove dust after sanding. Prime with a stain blocking primer like Zinsser 123, KILZ,or BIN and have it tinted to the color of the top coat. This will prevent dark or stained surfaces from showing through the top coat. Acrylic, or water base paints are low-fume and clean up easily with water. Alkyd, or oil-base, paints require good ventilation because the paint contains solvents that can irritate your lungs and make you feel sick. Alkyd options require mineral spirits for cleanup, but they provide a hard, durable paint finish. Whichever you use, buy the best-quality paint you can afford for a lasting kitchen cabinet finish. Seal with at least three coats with a water based polyurethane. Use a small foam roller and foam brush for a smooth finish.