How do i get rid ofthese green spots and paint the wall so they dont ?

+20
Answered

The wall outside my basement looks horrible and I want to paint it and make it look better. What do I do?


q how do i get rid ofthese green spots and paint the wall so they dont
  11 answers
  • Judy Judy on Aug 22, 2018

    Marie, the green is mold. It’s from lack of light and air. Just use bleach to scrub it or a mold inhibitor even dish soap can work for a biodegradable solution. Power wash it with just water too.

    You have water run off most likely when it rains.

    not too many ways to stop that unless you put an awning over it and stop water from the top step which is unlikely.

    MIf youndont have a drain down below power washing if this goes into the house is not recommended.


    • See 1 previous
    • Mik24741145 Mik24741145 on Aug 24, 2018

      Home Depot has a product called 30 second cleaner - kill mold quickly with very little scrubbing, just rinse it off . Its in the cleaning area and the size of a large bottle of bleach, $10.00, works on outside furniture even the ones that look black, also for showers inside.

  • Leslie Leslie on Aug 22, 2018

    Bleach solution. I don't measure so I would do a stronger solution of bleach and hot water. That looks like mold and efflorescence. The bleach solution should kill it then rinse well.


    how to make a bleach solution to kill mold - Google Search

  • The green is mold and algae from poor air circulation. Is this by chance on the east or north side of your house? Vinegar will clear this up immediately. Installing gutters may help too so that rainwater is diverted.


    https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/what-kills-mold-bleach-vs-vinegar/



  • Bijous Bijous on Aug 22, 2018

    Hi Marie. That's mold, caused by dampness and shade. The proper way to stop the dampness is to dig out the front yard and put in a vapor barrier on the concrete wall. That will stop the moisture from the ground seeping into the concrete. There are several products on the market that advertise they will stop the mold from growing, but I've had no experience with them. I live in a humid area and though no basements, we will get mold. It's a once a year using EZ House Wash. Attach it to a hose and spray. It works for me. Good luck!

  • Karen D Karen D on Aug 23, 2018

    If there is dampness after you kill the mold Paint the wall with a product called DryLock. This will keep water from seeping through from the ground. I did this on a basement in Tennessee and it worked wonders. Drylock is a thick paint. I applied it with a wall paper brush and used two coats. Be sure the mold is totally gone and the wall is dry. FYI this is similar to what they coat the inside of a swimming pool with and you can find it in the big box stores.

    • See 1 previous
    • Karen D Karen D on Aug 23, 2018

      It isn't a quick easy application and I do believe you can get it tinted. I sprayed my wall down with lysol after I used all the clorox stuff. I don't know if it helped, however I never had mold growing in my basement again!

  • Marie-Reine Gallant Marie-Reine Gallant on Aug 23, 2018

    You guys are awesome, I posted the question not expecting that people will actually take the time to read it. I'm forever grateful to each and everyone of you. I'll be sure to post picture of the project, lol......Thank you all and love you all😍

  • Bnortheast Bnortheast on Aug 23, 2018

    Mold and Mildew spray bought at the grocery story or Canadian Tire will get rid of this for you. If you are going to paint you can buy paint that is treated to stop mold and mildew from forming it is usually sold for bathrooms and kitchens but they might have it now for out doors. If they don't have this paint for outside then ask a painter or the paint store if putting aluminium paint on first and painting over this will prevent the mildew from coming through regular paint. Wet spots on a ceiling are prevented frombleeding through the paint after a good coat of aluminium paint is put on first. This might also prevent the mildew from bleeding through but do ask a painter or at the paint store

  • Fri5954069 Fri5954069 on Aug 23, 2018

    I would use a power washer, would get moss/algae/mold and most everything I'd think. Looks like it may get moisture in that area that will always get stuff like that, make sure you use a paint that is mildew proof afterwards. Let it dry really well after power washing.

  • Marie-Reine Gallant Marie-Reine Gallant on Aug 23, 2018

    Thank you, I'll try and let you know.

  • Hayden Scharrer Hayden Scharrer on Aug 23, 2018

    We just washed our house using Mold Armour. It comes in a green can and hooks onto your hose. You just spray it on, let it sit 15 minutes, use a brush to brush it down if it's having a hard time coming off, then just spray it off with water. Super easy and much less of a hassle than using a power washer!


  • Marie-Reine Gallant Marie-Reine Gallant on Aug 23, 2018

    Thank you, I'm going to stop at home Depot on my way home to pick it up.