Raquel Amster
Raquel Amster
  • Hometalk Team
  • New York, NY

Splatter Paint Plates

$15

I received these gorgeous plates as a present and wasnt thrilled with how white they were. The plates themselves are amazing and great for serving but needed a little but more color. After searching the internet for ideas, I found something awesome.
splatter paint plates
I set up my space by cutting a garbage bag to help keep my space clean. Learn from my mistakes, this was NOT enough. Unless you're cool with scrubbing your beautiful white walls, I suggest putting something behind your work space as well.

Next, I covered the space on the plates that I didnt want to get painted. I took paper and painters tape to make sure my unpainted areas were what I wanted. I had bought acrylic paint for the project but MADE sure that the paint was non-toxic!
splatter paint plates
Then I really just went for it. My first try I really hated the way the splatter came out. The great thing about paint is that if it's still wet, you can simple wash it off.
splatter paint plates
Giving the plates a few minutes to dry, I then took the tape and paper off. Next stop, the oven!!

splatter paint plates

Bake the plates at 325°F (165°C) for 30 minutes. Take them out of the oven to cool for 10 minutes and then bake a second time again for 30 minutes. I did two sets of plates, one red and one blue. The red ones honestly look like blood splatter, but I thought it was pretty cool!
splatter paint plates
The final look is great! Exactly what I wanted :)

Post Project Edit**: As the paint didn't fully withhold one hand wash, you need to make sure you also purchase a glaze for the plates.

• B. Enne

It just says acrylic paint in your supplies. Are these food safe?

• Nancy Weldon McEntire

Will the paint endure the dishwasher?

• Nancy Weldon McEntire

Creative idea. I did look on-line and there are food-safe, paint and markers available for ceramic, and they claim to last for years. I did see one note that said regular acrylic paint was not considered ‘food safe’, so be careful. Thanks for the idea!

• Smb228

What kind of paint did you use? The material list says acrylic, but I can’t imagine that workin on ceramic plates.

• Raquel Amster

I actually used a Non-Toxic Acrylic paint. After using once, I for sure need to add a glaze of some sort to keep the paint intact. I believe the company I used was Apple Barrel or Folk Art Acrylic paint. For sure check to make sure it says non-toxic before using it.