Asked on Aug 24, 2018

How can I accent light my 5’ x 3’ canvas painting inexpensively?

KatieJan ClarkBijous
+4

This canvas painting does not show up very well unless you are standing directly in front of it, especially at night. It also has touches of metallic gold that I would like to accent but can’t afford an expensive picture light. Any alternative suggestions?

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

You can buy clip-on accent lights specifically for artwork. They are both battery operated or have electric plug in cords. Try your home improvement store or an art/craft store to buy this.

• Ell14726713
      Ell14726713

I did reply to you once, but it doesn’t appear to have gone through. If you can see my other reply, just ignore. Your response is appreciated. I am looking for something plug-in, not battery and wondering if the lights you mention are different from the actual picture lights being sold? If they are inexpensive, they could work perfectly. Thanks again.

• Bijous
    Bijous

Hi. It's a very nice piece.

To make the picture pop, take the deepest color (other than the blue at the bottom of the picture) in the picture and paint the wall it's on.

If this is a rental, paint white sheets and attach to the wall ceiling to floor. Hide the tacks by gluing a ribbon border (paint the ribbon the same color).

In each corner of the wall put in floor lamps. This one below has an uplight and a downlight and are at Walmart for $13 USD. Twist the down light to shine on the picture.

Happy DIY'ing!

• Jan Clark
    Jan Clark

Hi! Actually, any floor lamp will do. Just make sure the bulb is a soft daylight type light. You might consider "framing" your beautiful piece in some molding attached to the wall. You can paint the molding a deep blue or turquoise. It'll look amazing.

• Katie
    Katie

Great painting. In addition to the excellent lighting ideas suggested previously, I'd propose that you make/buy one or two simple throw pillows in a solid color taken from the pic. Or maybe a nice throw (solid color) on the sofa to help draw the eye to the canvas.