How can I cover cracking plaster walls?


I have an old farm house and there is a crack in the plaster by the headboard. I want to use some sort of wall covering for the entire wall and need ideas

  5 answers
  • Reo33875684 Reo33875684 on Aug 24, 2018

    Back in the 70's people covered full walls with murals of outside photos. Maybe you can have one made up of some photo you have.

  • I have seen some really dramatic fabric treatments, here is an example

  • Ted Rowland Ted Rowland on Aug 25, 2018

    OKAY! Cover the entire wall first with 3/8" drywall, and then mud and tape. If the plaster is cracking in one place, IT WILL SOON BEGIN TO CRACK EVERYWHERE.. This is because of time, settling, and plaster decomposing. I would use 2-1/2" drywall screws, placed 8 inches on center, The drywall goes ACROSS THE WALLS, DO NOT STAND UP AND DOWN. Cut the first sheet to have a joint on a stud. Then continue. On ceilings, I use 5/8" type "X" fire rated drywall, for structural reasons. I did my friend's 130 year old house in Detroit, 25 years ago, and it still looks brand new in his dining room. You will thank me for not having new cracks ever 1-2 yrs.

  • Mom2K9 Mom2K9 on Aug 25, 2018

    Reclaimed wood might look great in an old farmhouse. You probably need to remove the plaster that is there in order for the wood to attach to the wall.

    Depending on your budget, you can use pallet wood. It is time consuming to take the pallets apart. Depending on how rustic you want it to be, you can either leave the wood as is or sand it a bit. Good luck and post pictures when you're done.

  • Karin Lee-Householder Karin Lee-Householder on Aug 25, 2018

    Thank you! I thought about vinyl “wood” flooring but, like you said, budget is a concern

Your comment...