My Patch of Blue Sky
My Patch of Blue Sky
  • Greensboro, NC

How to Love White Upholstery in Your Living Room!

Are you crazy about the look of white? It's all the rage these days but how can that be practical? With kids, pets and a busy life white upholstery CAN be realistic. Read how!
how to love white upholstery in your living room, home decor, living room ideas, reupholster
These white upholstered sofas have survived for 15 years through 2 teenage girls and 3 rescue calicos. Sleepovers, spilled drinks, greasy snacks and lots of kitty fur.
How did I do it?
Slipcovers. The old sofas were good quality but pretty ugly. These covers were made by a professional friend who pre-washed the white cotton duck fabric and lined each piece.
Cleaning is as simple as unzipping and dropping in the washing machine. I put them back in right out of the dryer.
This little sofa isn't white but it is very light. I painted it with Paris Grey Chalk Paint® and stenciled it with a Royal Design Studio stencil in Old White Chalk Paint®. It cleans up with a damp cloth.
You can love white upholstery I promise. The cost back then was about as much as one basic-priced sofa. Not a lot since I would have replaced these two at least once by now. Think I will love them for year to come.
Ask our kitties. They sleep there all day.

My Patch of Blue Sky

• Jeanette S

I would have no trouble loving white...would not even mind washing it frequently, but if you have a black lab dog there is no way you can have a white sofa! HA!

• My Patch of Blue Sky

@Jeanette S Funny. My daughter has a giant Tibetan Mastiff with dark fur. We have two kitties with dark fur so I just use the vacuum brush.

• Nikki

I love my white slipcover sofas too! But I am in Awe... Of your awesome columns those are so neat!! The entire room is just perfect!

• My Patch of Blue Sky

@Nikki Thanks so much! I love to change things around the house, but I don't think I will ever change those!