Heather Olinde
Heather Olinde
  • Saint Francisville, LA

DIY Nightstands on a Budget

$50

I recently made over my youngest son's bedroom. I wanted to stick with the modern vintage vibe that I was going for in his room, but didn’t want to spend a fortune on vintage nightstands. So I started thinking about how I could DIY nightstands that would fit the look of his room. And this is what I came up with…

diy nightstands on a budget
I didn’t want to use new wood on this project because I wanted the wood to have some character. You can’t necessarily go to the local hardware and get old wood, so I headed to a local antique shop to see what I could find. I found this little shelf unit for a steal of $18 and knew the size of the wood on each side would be perfect for my project. And I’d even have some left over pieces for another project. Score!
diy nightstands on a budget
diy nightstands on a budget
The first thing we did was disassemble the shelf unit. It was screwed together so it was very easy to take apart. I wanted rounded edges as a safety factor since it was going on the side of my son’s bed. We measured an inch on each front corner and then used a round object to draw a rounded edge. Then we used a jigsaw to cut the rounded edges and sanded the edges to give them a smooth finish.
diy nightstands on a budget
diy nightstands on a budget
After the boards were sanded, I stained them with Minwax in Special Walnut. 
diy nightstands on a budget
Once the stain was dry, I applied Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Wax to give the wood a protective coat.
diy nightstands on a budget
Next, I attached the shorter end of the brackets to my boards, about two inches in from the edge on each side. Make sure the back of the bracket butts up to the back of your board. You can use a level to make sure it’s straight so that when you place it against the wall, it will all be flush.
diy nightstands on a budget
After the brackets were attached to the board, it was time to attach the DIY nightstands to the wall. You will need to measure out where you want to place the DIY nightstands and use a level on top to make sure they are straight. We predrilled sheetrock anchors to make the shelf more secure. Tip: if you place a folded post-it note underneath, it will catch the sheetrock dust so it doesn’t get all over the floor.

Once you have your sheetrock anchors in place, it’s time to attach your DIY nightstands to your wall!
diy nightstands on a budget
We placed the nightstands on each side of his bed and placed a  gooseneck light above each. I couldn’t be more thrilled with the way they turned out!

If you missed the full room reveal, you can check it out  HERE. And I’ll be back soon to share those DIY crates below the DIY nightstands.

Heather Olinde

• Kristy Kitchens Myers

i love it! Such a cleaver idea! I am going to do this for sure. Thank you for sharing this!

• Sharleen

One thing to be careful of: my husband installed night stands on the wall in our spare bedroom. It is also my sisters room when she visits. She braced herself on the shelf to get up. She and the shelf went down to the floor.

• Paula

Very cool, genius space saving night stands!! 👊👊