How do I open a kitchen drain?

+10

I used the baking soda, vinigar, and got water idea....now my drains are worse! Help, water is backing into dishwasher!

• TaKenya Hampton TaKenya Hampton on Aug 25, 2018

you may need to contact a plumber. My husband typically just boils hot water a large pot of it and pours down the drains and that helps clear them out.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 25, 2018

Hi Ajv: Yikes! Have you, or had someone else, look at the drain pipe? The bottom part, that looks like a U, comes off by unscrewing one part and sliding it apart. There may be something in there that's clogging the drain. Put a pot under the area to catch whatever evils will come out:) You may have to get a new washer, and if you do, take the old one to the store with you so that the salesperson will know exactly what you need. This isn't hard to do at all. You may have a blockage in the dishwasher hose, also. If that's the problem, I found a site for you that might help. Good luck.

http://blog.buyspares.co.uk/dishwasher-repair-tips-and-help/how-to-clean-a-dishwasher/

• See 3 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Aug 27, 2018

Did you try to push the reset button??? It's a (usually) red button somewhere on the bottom edge. Did it turn on when you hit the switch? If so, I wouldn't count it out. How old is it? Mine was almost 50 years old before I had to replace it. It could be the rubber hose that's clogged. I'm not sure how your's is connected, it may just be with hose clamps. Squeeze the hose and see if it will collapse or if you think that there's something stuck in there. How did it drain? If it turns on and runs, I'm thinking a clogged hose, but if the water came out, I just don't know. I'm stumped:( Sorry. Good luck, and if I think of anything, I'll let you know. I know that they start around $80, but for a few bucks more you can get a better one, less than $90, but then, if you can't do it, you have the plumbers cost on top of that. Some days you just can't win:( If you do have to purchase a new one, ask at the store if they know a plumber who moonlights doing this sort of thing. Sometimes the people working in the plumbing department are plumbers trying to get a little money. A no is better than a missed yes:)

• Dee Dee on Aug 25, 2018

Try usings a snake. HD sells one that you can attach to a power drill and will clean up to 50 feet. I used it on a bathroom sink and worked like a charm.

Do not use drain cleaners since it is backing up into your dishwasher. you could ruin the dishwasher.

• A.J. A.J. on Aug 26, 2018

Thank you! Almost bought a drain cleaner today, thought...no might have a reaction.

• Rent a snake from a tool rental company, or break down and hire a professional plumber.

• Pat Pat on Aug 25, 2018

We rent the snake from the rental company and there is a clean out connection in our basement.....Though sounds like yours is closer to the sink and dishwasher. If you are unable to take care of this, I would suggest a plumber. We used a shorter snake on our bathroom sink last week and it works like a charm.....better than ever.

• A.J. A.J. on Aug 26, 2018

Thank you!