Angela
Angela
  • San Antonio, TX

An Updated Lamp for the Summer Porch

When I started working on my summer porch I knew I wanted a new lamp so I picked up this lamp base for $6.99 and the shade for $2.99 at my local thrift store. The "bones" were good for summertime with it being wicker but it was boring to me.
an updated lamp for the summer porch, outdoor living, porches, repurposing upcycling
So, I decided to paint striped on the shade using craft paint. I started by taping my stripes on the shade with painters tape. Make sure the edges are securely pressed on the shade so paint will not bleed underneath the tape.
I used some craft paint called "blue ribbon" and a sponge brush to apply it.
I took three coats for full coverage. Once the paint was dry, I removed the tape!
Next came a quick coating of spray paint to the wicker base. It was coming along but I felt it needed a little something more.
Rope! I hot glued some rope to the top and bottom of the lamp shade.
Very simple to do. Just start in the back of the lamp and work your way around til you reach where you started.
Then, I added a simple knot tied at the neck of the lamp base.
There ya go! This is so simple!!!
I really like how it adds to the feel of the porch!!!

To see more: http://twelveoaksmanor.com/2014/06/10/new-lamp-for-the-porch/