Dennis Jette
Dennis Jette
  • Nashua, NH

Raised bed Gardens from pallets

raised bed gardens from pallets, gardening, pallet, raised garden beds
The pallets are cut on one side of the center beam and nailed to the frame. The remaining side of the pallets are used to fill the gaps. I then lined the inside with a layer of 40 weight tar paper, 1/4 inch fan-fold insulation ( the pink or blue color type that is put on your house prior to vinyl siding) , then a layer of 6 mil thick black plastic sheeting and finally a layer of professional grade landscap fabric. As these are really deep and off the ground, I used large rocks from a former rock garden to fill in the bottom before filling with "Mels mix" organic compost, vermiculite and peat moss.
The boxes filled with soil and ready for the next step.
Finally almost finished. The cloach was made with pvc pipe, bent into shape. Then covered with agriculural fabric.

• V

Hi, Dennis~ What a wonderful idea! I'm excited to make these raised pallet beds for my family's vegetable garden next year, and have a few questions. Do you have close-up photos showing how the pvc cloche tubes are affixed to the frame? Is that a length of pvc that is attached (stapled??) along the edges of the agricultural cloth, on each side of the frame a few inches above ground level? Also, do you have a close-up photo of the bolt/screw/nail connection of one pallet to another? Any information on how you successfully planned out the placement of vegetable types would be very much appreciated, as well. With this system, do you have problems with deer eating your crops? Thanks so much in advance for sharing this information with our Hometalk readers! With very best wishes, Vikki

• Dennis Jette

Sorry I don't have any close up pictures,But I used EMT clamps to secure the PVC to the frames., Yes I roll the AG Cloth on a length of PVC, both sides. I just used Greenhouse patch tape to secure the cloth to the PVC. I just Nailed the Pallets to the center posts using a pneumatic nail gun. No Problem with deer as my whole garden area is fenced off.

• Kristi Madsen

Dennis I have raised beds and have PVC pipe in domes like you do but mine dont have the horizontal supports--how did you attach them to the rounded pvc pipe?

• Dennis Jette

I used zip ties, I tried drilling and using screws, but the tubing would crack and break at the drill points

• Corinne Rowe

About how many pallets did you use to create one of these beds, and how long/wide/tall are they?

• JaVan C. Pruett

Where did you get the agriculture cloth?
  • Karen Mitchell

Whats the point of having the tar paper, whatever that is?.
    I like to build mine on the ground, then the earth worms can come up

• Dennis Jette

Tar paper protects the wood on the sides from excess moisture, The worms can still get in as the bottoms are open to the soil.

• Daniel

Can you provide a blueprint with instructions?
  • Caroline Gerardo

A number of your materials are not organic or chemical free, do you worry about this?

• Huntress

Why make a raised bed and just put it on the dirt ? I'm curious because I always thought they were used because the soil wasn't any good. Is it easier because you don't have to do a lot of digging ? Just trying for info and I really like these. Great job.

• Dennis Jette

All of the above, plus these are much easier to weed, and work on. Controlling the soil as well, no need to till at all.

• Barbara

Love the idea of adding the hoop house - it can not only protect from insect to some degree but also really lengthen your growing season. My plans are for that as well - living in BC, I might even be able to have 4 season beds.

• Darlene George Edwards

Yes I'd love to try this!for my sister!