Exactly How to Build A Swing in About an Hour

$100

I will show you how to build this swing through pictures and even give you a materials list so your child or grandchild can enjoy swinging in bare feet too!
It will grow with your child or grandchild as well - at the bottom you will notice a different swing and our grandson was younger - it's a great way to make something long-lasting!
The materials list includes:
2 – 1” Circle Screw Bolts
5 – 4x4x8 Posts
1 – 2x6x8 Board
4 – 9” x ½” Bolts
4 Washers
4 Nuts
6 to 8 – 4” Wood Screws
5/8” Auger Bit (preferable 7 1/2” long)
Of course you will need a drill, saw, and rubber mallet.
First, lay out your posts like this and then mark the posts so that when you drill the holes (the next step) with the auger bit, the holes will match up.
After the posts are drilled, slid the bolt through and secure it with a washer and nut. You will have to lay it down to do the other two posts the same way.
You will need 2 extra people for this: One person each to hold up the 2 posts bolted together on either side of the swing and 2 people to hoist the final post up inbetween the top "V" of the swing like the picture shows. Mark the post and drill a hole on each end with the auger bit.
Make sure it is level.....,then.....
You will need to work "Shems" inbetween the posts to make it more secure, then insert bolts on both ends and finish off with a washer and nut.
Place the crossbars on like this, measure and saw off the tips (see next picture) and using a regular sized drill bit, pre-drill then use a screw to secure.
After sawing off the tips, you will need to sand smooth so active hands don't get splinters!
Screw in the circular screw and put the swing on - we got this swing at a church yard sale that morning for $5. Now this is all the little one wants to do.........swing swing SWING!! It actually took 40 minutes and my husband had never made one before.

15 Perfectly Round Tables
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Kitchen Kelli

• Demosthene

Hi, would'nt it be more secure with a longer horizontal boom with cross bars as external corners? The angles are right and this will prevent lateral foldibg.

• Pollyann Printy

I noticed carriage bolts securing all boards together at the top. This should prevent the A-frame from collapsing. (do you see the nuts on the bolts on the bottom of the beam).

• Tina kline

Where did you get the horse swing in the first picture?

• Annamaria Tadlock

How sturdy is this? I want to build a swinging seat to hold 2 adults and I am wondering if this is strong enough to support the weight.

• London DIY Man

I am constructing one using 12' poles and will anchor them in the ground with post and fence cement. The swing beam will be 100" above the ground making it easy for the adult person to enjoy the swing without having feet and legs folded underneath swing. I purchased a ready made swing with vinyl coated chains and rubber seat. The chain/seat assembly is 72" in length. The assembly comes with bolts and washers and nuts. These are attached by drilling through the swing beam. I was concerned about the screw circle bolts not standing the rigours of an adult.

• Jason Milich

I made this. I needed an extra 2 by 6 beam all the way across the back for stability. It is great and i love it. I have an adult sized swing on it and it holds at least 500 lbs with no issues.

• Jason Milich

Yes, to your second question. It is about 3 inches down on the back side. Please note that I am not at all "handy" so there may have been a better way to stabilize it that did not occur to me.