Vickie Treece
Vickie Treece
  • Texarkana, TX

Dog Salon Paper Floor

I just finished a paper floor in a Dog Salon in a commercial building I have. It turned out great and the Salon Owner is very pleased!
dog salon paper floor, flooring
This floor is done with the same process! Mix Equal parts water and Elmer's glue all. Mix it up really well. Take wadded up brown contractors paper, dip in glue mixture getting off as much excess as possible. Flatten to floor, overlapping where needed to cover entire floor. Let dry overnight. Next day start adding polyurethane, allowing to dry in between coats. We discovered that the difference in color is one side of the paper is slick and the other side is not. The slick side up is the lighter color and the non slick side up is the darker color. This picture is a little light because it is in front of a window all store front so it washed out the color on my camera. Pictures below show true color!
dog salon paper floor, flooring
dog salon paper floor, flooring
dog salon paper floor, flooring
dog salon paper floor, flooring
dog salon paper floor, flooring
Polyurethane used

• Joe1861978

We just took up old carpet in our living room. It has particle board flooring & is very tight & smooth at the seams. Would this brown paper procedure work on particle board, or will it make it crumble? All input welcome, please!

• Susan

The glue and water solution will not make it crumble. Try it on a smaller section to see if you get the look you want. If not, you can cover with luan 1/8 plywood sheets first. I see no reason for it not to work on the particle board other than it might not be as smooth.

• Joe1861978

Susan, thank you for your input....its been several months since I asked the question, so went ahead & installed laminate flooring. We may do our front porch tho...it is cement.

• Marie

What type of mataince would this floor require? Does it scratch/scuff? What do you clean t with? Thanks!

• Lisa Dvorak

I did this in my kitchen with pages from cookbooks. It turned out great, except that I used pages that were glossy, and the paper didn't absorb the glue mixture, which lead to lots of wrinkles. I ended up using a resin garage floor sealer to seal the floor and fill in the wrinkles. If people want to use book pages, they should be sure to use non-glossy ones!

• Carrie Mae OHara

Oh, my Gosh! I love how cheerful that is! Way to pick your colors, Lisa! How long did all that curing take? My kitchen floor is fine, but we have an enclosed breezeway that would be fun to paper-floor with gardening book pages. It has to be very durable, though, as it's our main entrance. How's it holding up?

• Zoe Emiko

Did you use brown grocery bags or another type of paper for this flooring?

• Sallie Wolff

You can use either one you like the poly over coat creates level surface

• Walt

There are different thicknesses of contractor construction paper in long rolls to protect flooring during construction. did you use this and what ply? there is a very thick paper great for protecting carpet and tile and a thinner paper that can also be used for wrapping objects when moving (works great for protecting wall art, pictures,etc) thank you in advance for your response.... walt - traverse city, mi

• Rsb11990940

I did this floor in my living room. I used the thinner paper it is much easier to wrinkle. There is a very nice video on you tube about brown paper flooring.

• Sallie Wolff

You can use any variety you like the color of the poly will level out depth variances just have to put another layer of it on.

• Joan

Did you start with a bare cement or wood floor? Can it be done right over vinyl linoleum

• WENDY

I just did my vinyl floor, so far so good

• Joan

Thank you.... I might start with my laundry room and see how well I can do this...,but sounds easy enough and looks Fantastic.

• Gwenda

I need flooring in my RV. Would this flex enough to remain flat or just tear up? What can I use besides vinyl or carpet?

• Jac9193208

I had carpet in my RV. Pulled it up and put down new plywood then put down the peel and stick tile. Did this a few years ago. Hasn't come up yet.

• Miriam Grieve

What sort of glue mixture did you use?

• Dee

I've seen a similar technique used on walls to make a leather look but not this! How many layers of polyurethane did you use?

• Msm11267138

Can you only use contractors paper? I hate brown!

• Karima Aliz

Maybe tissue paper or rice paper would work?

• Msm11267138

Thank you!

• Oregon Cat

You can also paint over the paper to make it any color you want. There are several articles here on HT that will show you how.

• Bea10267707

You can also put some food coloring or other type of dye in the mixture of glue & water to change color. Or use a tinted polyurethane if they have that

• Wolf

How many layers of paper did you use and is the sub-floor concrete? One would think that one layer of paper would not wear very well.

• Linda Brock

The polyeurathane coats the paper, so you only need one layer of paper!

• Mimi

can this be used on the floor of an unroofed balcony? Would it stand up to rain and dust? (No snow; perhaps a rare and brief layer of hail).

• Lori

Is this slippery when it's wet? I'd love to do this outside on the concrete of the back patio, but we have a pool and kids are always running up to the patio.

• Janet Davis

I used this same product on my paper floor and YES it is slippery and that is dry. Don't know about wet. Also, what I used said interior.

• Barb

How many coats of poly did you use.?

• Brenda

Can this paper floor be done with brown paper bags; is contractors paper compable? Also would this floor be ok in a basement?

• Shawna Bailey

Brown paper bags works great for this floor

• Judith Schumacher

I have a lanai that I converted to a year round sun room. The pool is right outside the room. Currently the sun room has ugly indoor/outdoor carpeting. Would this application work for cleaned concrete floor if a paint or tint were added, being so near water as wet swimmers tend to be drippy when they come into the room? Also, during the winter, the window walls are open much of the time.
      , View of ugly flooring out to pool A new pool cage is being built
  • Ann-Marie Johansen Fraser

I'm curious if this would work on raised foundation floor?
  • End17459602

This looks amazing. How is the floor holding up to the canine traffic? I'm thinking I'd like to do this in my vestibule and I have 3 fur children of the canine persuasion.
  • Sam

yes, how is it holding up? if well, then i'm doing it in our front hall! i've done this on furniture tops and it looks like leather, but have not tried it on a floor. i'm sure it would look great on walls too!
    • Lana Loeber Armstrong

I did this years ago in a small bath on the walls using paper bags torn up and wadded, then used walpaper paste and transparent paint. Still loving it.

• Cynthia Shafer- Hoag

How did you apply the poly?
  • Sam

never heard of transparent paint. where do you find that???
  • Wendy Cochran

What kind of flooring can this be done on? How does it hold up in high traffic areas and water spills? Does it need to be re-done or re-sealed in five years?
    • Car27656418

Works on any flooring. It holds up well, and spills just wipe off because it's polyurethane. Make sure you use at least 7 coats of polyurethane originally since it's only paper flooring.
  • Aytugsandra

Can I put this on vinyl flooring?
    • Car27656418

Yes. It works well on vinyl, cement, laminate and wood.
    • Car27656418

You need to coat with polyurethane any times at least 7 coats. You can also stain then poly. I used paint brush not roller because roller sucked up to much polyurethane.
  • Mar32152120

I have an old linoleum kitchen floor. I was thinking of putting white paper to cover the floor, then putting different color tissue paper over that. For a real colorful look. I'll certainly try it on a small section first. I'm wondering if the linoleum colors will bleed through. Any suggestions? thanks,Marvin
  • Suzy.stergas

I wonder if this can be done with newspaper?
  • Ptcruiserchick

Would I be able to use this in a bathroom? I don't want to remove the tile floor, but would love to cover it up.

• Margaret

Can this project be accomplished on a garage floor and if so, where did you get bulk supply of Elmer's Glue All?

• Leeanne

I would think clear epoxy would fare better than poly. You would need only two coats and it will never chip, flake or peel and is completely waterproof and won't yellow. By the time you pay for multiple coats of poly, it won't cost more to EPOXY. Just saying... Looks nice though...
  • Meme

My friend once put this on the wainscoting (sp} and striped paper on the top on her sons bedroom walls. It had a Ralph Laren look.