Using Shells to Decorate Flower Pots

Shells can easily be used to 'decorate' flower pots - here are a few examples of some in my garden.
The upright pot is the easiest - I used ready-mixed tile adhesive. The adhesive not only holds the shells in place, but covers the entire background (or surface area) of the pot in a neutral color.
When working with a 'long' container, such as that in this photograph, I found that was best to deal with the ends first. Once that had been accomplished, I rested the container on its long side, and 'decorated' the front. The back was not decorated, as it is not on display.
The rock in the corner of the photograph had a nice shape, so I decided to paint it, and then added some shapes using a silver metallic permanent marker.

• Maribeth Hetherington

Can you explain what "tile adhesive" is?

• Valerie

Tile adhesive is what is used for normal tile applications. It is a type of glue and is already mixed, so you do not have to add water or anything else. You would be able to get it from any place that supplies tiles.

• Janet Ambler

Can you use a plastic flower pot or does it have to be ceramic if using tile glue?

• Valerie

I personally would not use a plastic pot. However a friend of mine used one and the glue was still holding about two years later. I think terracotta or ceramic pot would be a better option for the long term.

• Janet Ambler

Thank you for your advice. I am going to try this with my granddaughter once lockdown has eased and we can get to the beach.

• Valerie

Hi Janet I think you will both enjoy it, and have something special to remind you of the day!