Asked on Aug 28, 2018

How do I replace wood front porch stairs?

Sandra BockOberlinmomLinda Heath
+4

I purchased a home two months ago and the (small)front porch steps have settled/sunken to the left as I look at them. Possibly an inch, which is a lot on steps. Will the entire porch have to be replaced because the whole left side is what has settled? I will attach picture to show lean.

Thanks Hometalk for any suggestions!  Sincerely Robin Wiley

• Ted Rowland
    Ted Rowland

You can take a hydraulic floor jack and lift the left side, then slide a 2" pre-cast flat block under the bottom of the stringer, where it is sitting on dirt.

• Robin Wiley
      Robin Wiley

Thanks Ted, that's what someone else suggested, just sounded like a lot of work (for this old woman). LOL Guess I better rally some help Thanks again!

• Eva Rose
    Eva Rose

to prevent from falling through or a visitor doing so, i replaced them with blocks, cemented together to keep sturdy, and painted. will last forever. paint white will match all trims, etc.

• Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures
    Rachel's Trash~2~Treasures

Ted is right on the money! Also, in today's email feed, there was a project posted about that very thing

• Linda Heath
    Linda Heath

I can’t see the whole front of your house, but if you built a front porch you could hide the foundation and create a level look across the front.

• Oberlinmom
    Oberlinmom

You may not need a floor jack. If the porch is level the steps may be a seperate piece. If that is the case look at how they are attached to the porch and or house. It could be possible to just lift the left side of the stairs and place a flat block under them.

• Sandra Bock
    Sandra Bock

why didn't you just dig under the sunken part and with a layer of gravel an grate wire an a twox4 raise it an secure it down?