Outdoor Bench

$20
After moving into our new home, I finally got the time to create the perfect bench for the front porch.
I purchased a few second hand chairs (for cheap) and I had the 1x8 boards from our backyard (tore down some fencing.
Flipped the chair over and removed the screws that held the seat to the wood base.
I put the 1x8s on the base to make sure that two would fit. I didn't like that there was a huge gap between the 1x8 and the back of the seat base. So, I decided to remove the back rest with a jigsaw. Hmm, those back rests look like a perfect piece for a future project.
Line
It was time to clean the wood AND sand. Look, no one "likes" to sand, but it is a necessary evil if you want your projects to stand the test of time. Don't listen to ANY paint company that says "no prep". There is ALWAYS prep - from the minimum of cleaning with a degreaser or TSP to sanding, something should always be done!

These chairs were a bit gross from being used in a restaurant. Only God knows what kind of icky stuff there was on them before I cleaned.
Next step was to sand my boards. If you look at the original board, you will see there was green, black and other stuff all on it. They were originally used as a turtle fence and were caked with dirt and other outdoor elements. I sanded both sides and chose the sides that had the most "character" to be face up!
Using a 3" chip brush I covered the boards in watered down Fusion Mineral Paint in the color Ash.
After they dried, I used 100 grit sandpaper and my orbital sander, I sanded down so I could see the beautiful grain.
Next up, I stained the boards with Minwax stain. I used my favorite method - the sock method - to apply the stain on boards. I like this method because it allows me to have better control and little to no drips.
I painted the chair bases in Fusion Mineral Paint color Azure.
After they dried, I used 180 grit to distress.
The Azure is a beautiful color, but I wanted to tone it down. I used Homestead House's Stain and Finishing Oil in Ebony - again with the sock method to apply it like a glaze. I love the way the color turned out - bringing out the distressed areas and toning the color to more of a teal.
Finally, I attached the seat bases to the wood with wood screws, utilizing the original holes! Now, I have a outdoor ready, beautiful bench that is 6' long!

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

3 of 30 comments
  • Virginia Rohde Virginia Rohde on Jul 27, 2019

I would of knotched out the first board for the back. But its cute the way it is.

• Shelli Shelli on Jul 29, 2019

Love it! I need a bench for plants and some other decorative items. Awesome

Next