DIY Blackout Curtains

$75
1 Day

Blackout curtains aren't cheap. Nor do they always match your decor. Why not DIY?
For a different residence, I purchased these boring black blackout curtains from Target and when we moved, they came with us. But obviously they're nothing special.
I since added these awesome DIY floor to ceiling gauzy curtains for about sixty bucks which caused an uproar on Hometalk -- well not the curtains, but that I had both black ones pushed to the left. Sorry for making everyone's OCD go into overdrive, I didn't do it on purpose.

But still, the black ones in general weren't cutting it, despite letting us sleep.
So that's when I decided to make my own. And if you keep it simple, even a non-sewing expert can make custom curtains for a tension rod. I swear!

At the fabric store, pick up some inexpensive blackout vinyl, or even order it online. While at the store, pick out a fabric that suits your style. Don't worry if it's not an appropriate type of fabric -- mine is upholstery but I loved the fabric so who cares. Rules schmules.

Because each window frame was a different length, I used the hemmed curtain as a template to guide me.
Cut both the vinyl and your fabric of choice, fold over some hems with the blackout vinyl inside the main fabric, and pin.

By the way, be sure to add 1.5 to 2 times the amount of fabric window-width-wise for a more professional look when closed. So if your window is 24" wide, use 36" to 48" of fabric.

Your side hems can be 1/2" to 1", or whatever you're comfortable with. On the bottom, do more like 2".
That's when I inherited extra assistance. He's so helpful, I know.

Be sure to swing by my blog, Flipping the Flip, to read more about this project, about Finn my trusty furry assistant, and lots of other fun stuff!
But for the top hem, aka tension rod pocket, go more like 3"-4". Here I went about 2.5" to 3" and it was a little tight.
Push your new fancy DIY curtains that you're so proud of onto your tension rod, and voila, brand new blackout curtains that fit your style and keep the light at bay!
He's everywhere I want to be.

For more on this project, be sure to click the link below!

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Catherine Juhlin

Your helper is very cute, how would we ever get something done without them to hold it down from flying off?

• She33972710

Wouldn’t it have been simpler and cheaper to just used the original black out curtains as a liner with your choice of fabric?

• Jackie Angus

I make quilts my sewing room was “HOT” and way to sunny. I bought white blackout material and made a quilt I sewed the two together after cutting to size now it is very cool in this room and very dark when I want it to be. You had a great idea!

• Ticia

does anyone know what makes blackout curtains 'blackout'? I applaud what you did - so simple. I am in SC and have need of 110" size so you can imagine how expensive that would be for 14 windows. While I have a good quality drape(s) up now, they are not totally blackout so just wonder what is it that makes them blackout? Anyone?

• Rosy

If you can't find the blackout fabric at a fabric shop try a upholstery fabric store. Google upholstery supplies and fabric for your area. They have a larger selection of merchandise and commercial grades.