Small Closet Makeover

$750
2 Weeks

We bought a small 1982 ranch house a few years ago and we've been working for three years now to fix it up...piece by piece. We've done all kinds of simple DIY projects to update the look of the house both internal and external (see my profile for all the projects), but this is one of my favorite projects BY FAR because I took my outdated, ugly, small closet and brought it into this century for under $750!

Let's check out the before...
It was pitiful. Not shown (sadly) are the reprehensible mirrored doors that once donned the closet. In addition we had no storage, no way to organize shoes, and we were in desperate need of decluttering. So what did we do? We start by organizing our space, purging items we didn't use, and starting fresh!

So that's just what we did! We emptied it, organized it, painted it, and then bought this awesome closet organizer from Lowe's and got it installed in the closet. I would always suggest painting your closet with a fresh coat of paint before you install anything new...just think of all the must that accumulates from other people's belongings over the years that's now in your closet!!
We bought THIS closet organizer for $350 from Lowe's for this project. Then we installed all new closet doors, new storage bins and shoe racks, and some gorgeous door handles on the doors (all linked in my blog post).

Are you ready to see the after?!
The other thing I should mention besides the items that we installed is that we pulled all the outdated, narrow trim off the closet opening and we installed new, thick, craftsman style trim and painted it bright white to go with the doors. It made SUCH a difference and is something we're slowly updating to all of our doors in the house.
The organizer we chose was called "gray" but it came out more weathered green, so that was a bit frustrating. But they also have it in brown and white too...so have no fear! It was quite easy to install and I just love all the organization it gives us now!!
Check out the full blog post below for all the photos and more details on the installation...as well as links to all the products that I used for this post!

Let's compare that before and after one more time....
Hope this inspires you to tackle those outdated, disorganized closets this year!

Abbey D

• Judith

I certainly know how to clean out and organize, but it looks like you took it to a new level. Did you make it a walk in closet with a secret door to the other half ? You chose to organize the other things but didnt leave room for the clothes !!!

Judy

• Michele

I believe she said she purged and started fresh.

• Elana Gerson

I had one of those closet remodel places out to bid, and they quoted many thousands of $$$. This could be my perfect solution! Please, WHAT IS THE DEPTH of the space you had for your closet???

• Bmi32050820

I am amazed she calls this a small closet. Mines less than half that size. I have removed the one rod and replaced two one high and one low but that isn’t working either. Any ideas?

• Elana Gerson

Closet looks wonderful!! Btw, you'll be able to hand a LOT more stuff if you get rid of those tube hangers & use *only* (that's the key) the "huggable hangers" or knockoffs (they sell knockoffs everywhere, but you can get the originals either on HSN or at the Container store). First thing I ever bought from a shopping channel decades ago, and they really are amazing.

• Carrie Ervin Divine

Um, if I could afford a $350 organizer from Lowes,I wouldn't be on a DIY site! 😜