How Long Do Stepping Stones Last?

There are many posts on how to make concrete stepping stones and so this post is not going to be a repeat of the 'how to' mix concrete and pour in a pan. this post is to give you an idea how long stepping stones (which I really think they should be called memory stones) will last in your garden; and how you can make this project kid friendly so you can create memories in the garden.
I have pictured here stepping stones that were made over 6 years ago with dollar store flat marbles, non stick cake pans, and $2 bag of concrete. My kids were younger and wanted to create stepping stones for Mother's Day. I was thrilled that the kids took an interest in creating something for me so we spent a couple hours and created these together. Even though one is grown and gone and the other one is in high school, the memory of our special day lives on in my garden.
When using the flat marbles or any other decoration, you must push it in the concrete and let it sit until completely dry. I also want to say, through my own experience, you cannot walk on these stepping stones. I am glad we discovered this before we lost all our marbles! Now the stones just sit in my beds in various locations so that I can see them.
From my concrete projects I had extra and so I got out the non stick brownie pan from my shed and made a platform for my special rocks and my ceramic bird that will not sit still.
I enjoy my memory stones and hope that they last forever.
So I hope you create with your own kids or grandkids a lifetime of memories in the garden. Grab a bag of concrete and some stones and make beautiful creations.
Happy gardening!
how long do stepping stones last, crafts, gardening
I made this one along with the kids. Found out you could not use these as actual stepping stones. Oh well. The make beautiful garden art
At the time my son was 8 and it has lasted all this time.
The kids made this one together.
Made by my step daughter over 8 years ago-some stones are missing but the memory is still strong
I had to make a perch for my bird to stay put and the rocks were from a special trip

The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Shelli S

Oh I love these. Thanks for sharing!

• Christina

There are concrete sealers that can be painted on top if you aren't painting it. I think it gives a slightly wet look which would bring out the color also. You can also add color to the mix if you want a more permanent color. There are special concrete colorants in powder form that are mixed in to the concrete. You could also make a stain to paint on top with artists acrylic paint and water painted on-just go around any marbles, etc.