Teri.jeffrey
Teri.jeffrey
  • Tutorial Team
  • New Port Richey, FL

Wood Cutlery Organizer Finds the Halloween Spirit

$35

Are you looking forward to Autumn? It’s my favorite season and I start celebrating early by doing Halloween Crafts. When I saw this overused wood cutlery organizer in the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $1, I knew that it would be perfect for a Halloween shadow box.
Wood Cutlery Organizer
Wood Cutlery Organizer
The bottom of the organizer was covered in red felt and, as you can see from the bottom of the organizer, it was definitely a previously used item. First task...clean up.
The Makeover Begins
The Makeover Begins
After removing the red felt, I lightly sanded the front, back and sides. Black chalk paint was applied to the entire surface.
The Magic of Paint
The Magic of Paint
Looks much better, don’t you think? Waxed with a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax. Now the fun can begin.
Skeleton Home
Skeleton Home
In my craft stash, I had a miniature wood coffin that had been there for ages. Lucky me, it fit perfectly into the bottom left space and Dollar Tree came through with a 4-piece skeleton garland. While he wasn’t advertised as a contortionist, he became one to fit in the coffin. And my craft stash now has 3 skeletons for other projects.
Section Themes
Section Themes
Using the three remaining sections, I chose a theme for each. The bottom was perfect for a Potion Lab. I found free vintage Halloween potion labels on Pinterest and created potion bottles, spell books and a sign. The broken wood spoon became a holder with lichen (tree moss/algae) in the bowl. Miniature bottles were found months ago at a garage sale. Using E6000 glue, I affixed all to the bottom and back of organizer.
Finding & Creating Elements
Finding & Creating Elements
The top section would have a Witch theme. By focusing on a theme for each section, it was easier to begin looking for items that could be adapted to Halloween. The yellow ceramic rose was a broken and chipped piece from a vase. Painted black with orange & gold highlights made it perfect for the Witch section.
What Does a Witch Need?
What Does a Witch Need?
The shoe was originally blue & green but painted orange and black and the rose glued inside of it made it a focal point. Adding a broom in the background and a witch hat made from fabric covered cardboard, the top section was taking shape.
Can’t Find It?  Make It.
Can’t Find It? Make It.
I had wanted to make some items for the middle section which would be Halloween Celebration. Using Crayola Air-Dry Clay, I made several pumpkins by rolling balls and indenting pumpkin sections with a piece of floss. My cat silhouette was done with a mini cookie cutter. Once dried (24 hrs), I painted and sprayed with clear gloss.
Completing the Project
Completing the Project
I filled in each section with things related to the theme. Once a few pieces are placed in each section, it’s easier to focus on things that work and see where empty spots need to be filled.

Skeleton Section - I added a piece of cheesecloth as a shroud.
Top Witch Section - An old mini frame was perfect for a vintage Halloween printable. A vintage Witch portrait would also be cute. A miniature pail was perfect for fabric rolls and a small Dollar Tree jar with a frog inside completes the shelf section.
Middle Section - My pumpkins and black cat joined a small ceramic leaf, BOO spelled out with Scrabble tiles, A Halloween banner and cheesecloth ghost with a “parking lot found” hoop earring for its neck.
Bottom Section - I added a cheesecloth spirit behind the spoon, a wire spider on top of the books and a metal type font. A Dollar Tree black votive candle completed the display and provided a nice glow to the Potion Lab.

I definitely recommend gluing everything in place. To display, you can either use wall hangers (place on back of organizer before starting to fill with miniatures) or a tabletop easel.
From Hopeless Discard to Halloween Decor
A metal easel that I had on hand made the perfect stand to display on my entry cabinet. And, today a friend gave me a tiny bat which is now on the bottom of the coffin.

• Destpete4

I will have to try that. I have used chalk paint in the past and the brush strokes are so noticeable. Any suggestions on painting for my next chalk board paint projects.

• Mumandp

I would have LOVED to see a CLOSE UP PIC. SO CLEVER and CREATIVE!!!

Fall is My favorite Season as well!!! xo Michelle

• SusieQ

I would love to see this same idea done with a Christmas thyme.