How to keep mice from coming in the crawl space and climbing log wall?

+4

I moved in with my parents to help them and found the house overridden with mice! They are coming up the crawl space and climbing the log walls of a solid log home. How can I mice proof this log home in 80 acres of farmland?

• Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Aug 29, 2018

How are they getting into the crawlspace? There should be screens on any opening to the crawlspace so check that out. I would go to the nearest feed store or Home Depot and buy a bunch of traps for the inside of the house, and also a bunch of bait traps for the crawl space. They will go inside to nibble on it and then hopefully go outside and die. If you don't do something quickly they will continue to nest and have babies and you will never get rid of them. With colder weather you will have more coming in from the fields. Good luck!

• Nancy Walsh Nancy Walsh on Aug 29, 2018

Personally, I have found that living with a cat helps. after initial clearing, it becomes a deterrent.

• MKaren MKaren on Aug 29, 2018

My mother hates cats but agreed to borrow one for a month or two because there would be a live mouse in two different traps in two different rooms each morning!?Bait doesn’t work since they do NOT go back out to die. We have multiple traps per room and they are still coming through the dirt, up the 1foot cement footing and climbing the log walls!

• Who built this cabin? And when? Is it a dirt floor home? At this point you need a contractor and exterminator. Every point of entry needs to be sealed. Get the exterminator to find every hole, and get the contractor to seal it up.

Borrow a terrier type dog, they are great mousers or someone's hunting dog.

• MKaren MKaren on Aug 30, 2018

It is NOT a dirt floor. In the basement there is access to the crawl space. In the crawl space the mice are coming up through the dirt and climbing the log walls and entering the house by chewing through the subfloors and drywall. Every house has crawl spaces under their house. Every house has dirt with plastic covering it under the house. This is the crawl space.

• I am on a slab and there is no crawl space. But my mom's house built in the mid 20's is on a raised foundation with a crawl space. They are coming under the house from the surrounding area for shelter and food. Mice can chew through almost anything. Get an exterminator out there asap to plug up every hole they can find. Set no kill traps too. It has been a long time since I had a field mouse issue, they are so cute, but can cause huge amounts of damage. Keep us posted!

• MKaren MKaren on Sep 09, 2018

Thank you for all the advise! I have gotten several inside cats and several outside cats, and have been putting steel wool in holes and the caulking shut. The number of mice are definitely going down. I still have to seal crawl space better but have let the cats have access to it. I am definitely loving cats about now!!!