Is this a flower or weed?

+6
My cousin tells me this flower/weed completely moves every year with no trace of being where it was previously. She lives in northern Indiana. It closes up at night and opens during the day.
is this a flower or weed, flowers, gardening
  • Alan Alan on Jun 11, 2014
    Not easy to tell from this photo, being sideways and all, but the flower look like Salsify. Do you have a better photo? The difference between a flower and a weed, is a matter of perspective.
    • Bisa Bisa on Jun 12, 2014
      @Alan I think you've hit the nail on the head. My cousin thinks it's ugly so she'll call it a weed & get rid of it. Thanks.
  • Traci Kenison Traci Kenison on Jun 11, 2014
    In Utah they are considered a weed. Don't know the name of it though.
  • Tess Borgra Tess Borgra on Jun 11, 2014
    If you like it, it's a flower. If not, it's a weed. It's all a matter of opinion. :)
  • Joyce Butler Joyce Butler on Jun 11, 2014
    I agree with Tess Borgra.
  • Debra Dale Debra Dale on Jun 11, 2014
    i would say a weed and volunteers are carried by the wind,birds socks, what ever the seeds stick too...
  • Sarah Moon Sarah Moon on Jun 11, 2014
    weed
  • Alan Alan on Jun 14, 2014
    You might try telling her it is a nutritious Wild Edible! Search the web for recipies Peace http://ethnobotanist128.blogspot.com/
  • Teo Teo on Dec 28, 2014
    La noi ii spunem PAPADIE,cand se termina floarea se umple de seminte pe niste tij lungi de4-5cm pe care le spulbera vantul.Este comestibila ,mai ales primavara ,ptr, purificarea sangelui.O planta cand nu ii cunosti intrebuintarea spui ca este-BURUIANA.